BowHuntingLicense(12-15) -$9 Now
Bow HuntingPrivilege (12-15) -$4Proposed
MuzzleloadingLicense -$140 Now
MuzzleloadingPrivilege -$30Proposed
TurkeyPermit -$50 Now
TurkeyPermit -$20Proposed
DeerMgmntPermit Appl. -$10 Now
DeerMgmntPermit Appl. -$10Proposed

Captian Carl,I like that Idea of a Boat Fishing License for Charter Boats,as the Pres. of Eastern Lake Erie Charter Boat Assoc. I will submitt that purposal to Paul McKewn of the NY DEC. I will bring it up on the floor at the Erie County FAB as a way to increase Tourisom & Erie County Federation of Sportsmans Club as a member club and see where we can go with it since the NY DEC is  in the proccess to change licenses and fees!

Capt. Larry

Edited by mostlymuskies

I agree with this concept of the charter boat license that covers the onboard fisherman. This seems to be normal for Atlantic Ocean and Gulf fishing on deep sea charters I have been on.

However, who has ownership of the fish landed should also be part of the action taken.

Normally I would be all for this however they are doing this yet again without any consultation with the NYS conservation council which is our voice in Albany....  Our govenor has choose to completely ignore the conservation council during his term..  They have locked down our funding and not spent much to fund the DEC in last few years we all know that.  There are many unfilled postions all throughout the DEC and no way to fill them.  The other big issue is the GAG order placed on the DEC they can not talk to the press or any of us without prior authorization.  I asked our reg 7 fisheries people recently to respond to the negative press on the lake and all they could do was apologize and tell me they were not allowed to...  The last I heard we had 40 million dollars in the conservation fund that the govenor is not allowing to be used.  To me it makes sense to lower the license fee however without any consultation and opinion it is useless.

As far as the Charterboat license goes I think the numbers would need to be looked at to make sure the revenue collected from that license is the same as the revenue collected from the people who buy it themselves to go on a charter.  The numbers exist within each countys tourism departments to do this.  You also need to ask yourself as Captains are you ok paying a 1000.00 dollars to run 35 trips vs the guy who pays 1000.00 to run 150 trips?  Just food for thought.  I am not bashing the idea I am just not sure if it works.  Also would you include river guides in this?  That really changes things. 

Capt. Brian Garrett

President of the ELOSTA

Edited by Tall Tails

Tall Tails ,this Info on the NY DEC Fishing & Hunting License Proposal that I posted here I'm hopeing will get to each counties Federation of Sportsmans Club and they will take a position on it and send legislation up to the NY Conservation Council now why they still can voice our opinion on it before it can be put into effect.

I use to be able to buy NY 1 Day Fishing Licenses that I could sell to Clients on the boat,trouble was that if you did not sell them all you lost money on having them.I would go for that 1 Day License Program again if you could turn in the Licenses you did not sell as a credit towards the Next Years 1 Day Fishing Licenses! I could handle $200 at a time for a block of (20) 1 Day Fishing Licenses and replenished in blocks of 20 if needed,but the old program was 100 licenses.

Larry we are on the same team.  What I should have said and this is info from a recent Federation presidents meeting is that this is being done without input nor do they want any.  I dont think you will see this at your local federation up for discussion.  We were told this was happening without input...  Again I am not up set with the propsal I am just upset with the process...  Anything at all with licenses are supposed to come from the conservation council and in this case it is not.

I've have followed as much of this as I can from NY Outdoor News Report.  From what I understand the Conservation Fund Advisory Board is the entity that is pushing the decrease in the license fees, over frustration that there is a 40 million dollar surplus that Albany is not using for conservation programs. 

I like this discussion, and I do agree, this all has to be looked at seriously, and intelligently.  And we need to voice our opinions that the $40 million dollars needs to be spent on DEC, conservation programs, and hatchery improvements.  That's our money that has an intended use, let's use it!!

I would not mind seeing it stay where it is as long as they did more for us sportsmen.  Put more DEC enforcement out there to stop poaching and snagging.  But since they are not going to do that, I'm all for the cut. 

New_York_State_Fishing,_Hunting_and_Trapping_-_license_restructure.pdf

Here is the proposal. It is 2.3mb so hopefully can view. This is just a draft of possible reductions. This will be reviewed by CFAB and discussed for any comments. Although the NYSCC should have input, they are not the ones who have the say in things. Also  as it states in this attachment  the proposal shows no change in lifetime license, it is not gone. Yes, the Governors office has been a pain in neck with all this, but CFAB demanded the info from them as it is their charter to oversee spending by DEC. Remember, this isn't law, just a draft. Now that it is out we all can voice opinions, but please read it all.

If the attachment is not readable pm me and I can get it to you.

Am I the only one here who thinks this is bullchit? The fees are what they are. We are used to paying them at this point, so why lower them? Cuomo wants to lower these fees because of a surplus, but there is no money to put feet on the ground to protect our natural resources? This is a sly way to win back some of the gun owners "Hunters" in NYS hands down!

Lake Ontario is responsible for something like 2/3rds of the out of state fishing licenses sold. We all know this lake could use a 2nd hatchery, or more officers policing the Salmon River in October. Keep the license fees where they are and invest back into the state!

Am I the only one here who thinks this is bullchit? The fees are what they are. We are used to paying them at this point, so why lower them? Cuomo wants to lower these fees because of a surplus, but there is no money to put feet on the ground to protect our natural resources? This is a sly way to win back some of the gun owners "Hunters" in NYS hands down!

Lake Ontario is responsible for something like 2/3rds of the out of state fishing licenses sold. We all know this lake could use a 2nd hatchery, or more officers policing the Salmon River in October. Keep the license fees where they are and invest back into the state!

I am with you Rick.  This is redicoulous...  I see no benefit to this at all!!  The surplus is there because he created it by not spending the MONEY!!!  Nothing more then trying to get back into the good graces of NYS sportsmen..

Actually Rich,

Cuomo is so insufferably arrogant that he actually thinks he cay buy off/score some points with NY Sportsmen for his Treasonous, Unconstitutional dead of night gun ban, by cutting a couple bucks off of our hunting and fishing license fees.

The really sad and scary thing is, I honestly believe he thinks this will work.

Tim

Couldn't agree with you more Tim.  How long do you think it will be before he tries to spend money from the conservation fund and uses the excuse  "I gave a discount to the sportsmen and there was still a surplus so I felt that this was the best use of the money". I know that he isn't suppose to be able to do this, but you aren't suppose to be able to pass a bill in 16 hours either.

He was probably going to steal the money anyway so lets not give him anymore than possible.The 365 day thing is a good thing IMO ,used in FLA. Also I can call a  number down there and get a licence over the phone in effect that moment by confirm number & credit card.

Lets draw a line across the state  on a 45 deg angle at about West Point and we could be the 51st state. Kind of like amputating a bad leg. My guess is we would thrive up here.