How you named your boat?

DJ 17

Cabin Fever is killing me so I'm starting this thread. I'm working on a name for my own and haven't come up with one yet. Anyone have any good stories surrounding how they named their boat?

Well a little story goes with how I got the name for my boat. We fished Canada alot when I was a kid, and my dad and I always fished together, we always caught alot of walleye up there, one day there was a little boy sitting on the dock when we got back in and was admiring our stringer of walleyes, and the little boy was Amish, so in Dutch he said to my dad what were you using for bait, dad said a yellow jig with a peice of walleye belly,(at that time it was leagle) . The next day we headed out early morning and there sat the little Amish boy crying, so we pulled over to the dock and dad asked him in dutch whats the matter, he said his dad has no money for more worms, so dad gave him half of ours and the little boy was so happy he couldn't thank dad enough, off we went, came back in with anouther stringer of walleye and we cleaned them and fillet them and dad kept some of the belly meat for the little Amish boy. Next day there he sat crying again, so dad told the little boy to ask his dad if he could go along with us, and his dad talked to my dad in dutch and he agreed to let him go with us, those to guys had a blast talking in dutch, don't ask me what they were saying I understand some but not much, dad gave him a jig and a little piece of worm and he casted out and soon had a walleye, I thought the little boy was going to squeze dad to death, he was so happy, then dad got out his pocket knife and cut a piece of walleye belly off for him and put on his jig and the little boy cought his own stringher full of walleye with one piece of walleye belly. Dad told him see you only need one worm. I never will forget that day,since then dad passed away from cancer and I inherited his boat which never had a name, so I named the boat  1WORM in his memory. THANKS DAD I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU. RIP. PAP

Mine was easy.....I was in a stage of my life where I realized I wanted different things out of life than my wife at that time. Things just didnt work out between us and I decided to move on with my life and be happy. I have since found a new Wife and couldnt be any happier. So for me it is simply 'BOUT TIME I am happy and living my life for me.

FishStyx started out as an idea I had for a graphic for the boat (that I stll have never had made). 

Picture a viking longboat, with the grim reaper standing in the bow, a demon poling the boat down the River Styx and 2 guys fishing off the back, on our way to Tartarus/Purgatory. 

Yeah I know, nice mixing of mythologies :)

Tim

FishStyx started out as an idea I had for a graphic for the boat (that I stll have never had made).

Picture a viking longboat, with the grim reaper standing in the bow, a demon poling the boat down the River Styx and 2 guys fishing off the back, on our way to Tartarus/Purgatory.

Tim

Tim you never struck me as a guy that was in to dropping acid! Did you have long hair and a chain attached to your wallet too?? :o Edited by on the lam

When I bought my Islander last year it was called "Salmon Slammer".  My fishing is more about relaxing and enjoying than slammin', so I unnamed the boat for one season the remove a possible renaming curse.

19 foot Islanders are sort of clumsy so I considered "Bumbler" and similar names ,but nothing really sounded right. Then about a week ago I talked to my daughter and told her how much I want to take her first born,my first grandson, out fishing. Upon which she answered :"Now there is food for story telling". That was it. Right then and there I decided that my boat's name will be "Tale  Spinner".

Cornelis.

Tim

Sounds like Dead Head thoughts to me, I actually have a very simular Greatful Dead t-shirt

Edited by rolmops

Tim you never struck me as a guy that was in to dropping acid! Did you have long hair and a chain attached to your wallet too?? :o

did have longer hair once upon a time (when I had hair), never had my wallet on a chain.  Dropping acid, not a chance, I'm this twisted naturally :rofl::bandit::ninja:

LongLine comes from the days of taking my dad out trolling & having a line way out there.  As I was driving one time, he reeled it  in and at about half way said "that's a long line."   Also refers to some of my answers to posts that interest me.  :)  

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Our copper pullin /Seth greene draggin boat is a 16 foot glorified row boat with a johnson 25 on it.  We have a circle of friends on Seneca lake that we boat to... dinner parties etc...  In other words we hop from lawn to lawn with our boat.  One day my kids saw a grasshopper in the boat and said Daddy come look at this grasshopper!   The kids thought that was a great name for our boat!  "The Grasshopper"

first series of ontario boats were penn yans...we bought the 21 footer almost on our 7th anniversary..."7 Year Itch" was born and it carried us through 3 penn yans for over 10 years to our 295 prowler...

moved to florida and worked our way into an 18' center console perfect for the bays in our area and some light offshore stuff...one of my wifes favorite exclamations is "booyah"...and the vessel "Buoy-Yah" was born...

i picked up an 88 25' Larson with a 4.3 v6 in the fall, it needed some serious TLC  the original ritzy comforts had long been removed and cobbled together. the trailer that came with the boat had also seen better days.  the previous owner of the boat had told me of how he "gave er all she had" and that a wicked noise came from the motor. said his friend lifted the engine cover off and something blew out of the engine and landed in the water. shortly their after it seized.  picking the boat up cheap i found that the motor had in fact died of and RPM attack and shot a rod threw the pan. i got lucky and picked up a  great deal on an 89 Larson on a yacht club trailer  with a very very low hr 5.0 v8 in great condition as well as the out drive and other goodies. the boat itself had been left out in the weather for at least 10yrs neglected and not used, after some engine and out drive swapping and tinkering on the 25 footer she runs great n hauls the mail if ya need to. my buddy that helped me with the work  came up with Redline for the name  figuring that its already been pushed to the end and that it hauls now  would be a fitting name. good luck naming your own rig.  - fish hard - its better then work even on the worst day- 

Although I am a retired Phys. Ed. teacher and former football coach myself, my boat is named for my best friend Babe. He had been a college football all-american with a short professional career (stopped by injury). When I first started my teaching career, he and I hooked up to be fishing partners. Along with 2 of his 3 sons (one didn't like to fish), we fished together all across NYS and Ontario, dividing the expenses and caught fish equally between us. Weekend trips were spent sleeping in tents or in his Surburban, cooking over fire or camping stoves. We fished hard, ate fabulously, teased incessantly and got along great. We fished year round (soft or hard water) whenever we could and whenever the bite was on somewhere. After my wife of 10 years divorced me, he kept me uplifted and his family became like my own. After a couple of years I found my present mate and we have been together 34 happy years. Babe was our Best Man when we married and I will always remember him as such. When I finally got my first boat, it was named after him. That boat and he are both gone now, but my boat will always be named for the man who was my only true friend.

Awesome stuff! This is really what its all about, the great times and the memories you make. I too am a Phys.Ed. teacher who grew up hunting and fishing with my Dad and Grandfather in NY and VT. My first memories of boat fishing are from my grampas 16 ft mirrocraft perch fishing in Lake Champlain. Later when I was about 10 My grandpa bought us a 16 foot blue fin which my Dad still has.  I've caught a ton of fish in that boat and even more memories.  Now I have my own rig which obviously has new stuff I have put on but it also has lots of stuff from my dads boat as well as some things from my grandpas.  My grandpa passed away 12 years ago but I still think about him everyday. Especially on the water.  I now have 18 month old twins and can't wait until they can go fishing with Dad andGrandpa, with their great Grandpa looking down helping us get a bite!

djj717, great thred, I also have twin girls, turning 8 on the 18 of this month, I take them fishing all the time, they love the boat and catching the big ones, they also are getting itchy to hit the lake.

Great Thread, and nice to read everyones stories... Oh, and that reminds me, That is how I got mine. My friend and I were up fishing before I bought my current boat at sodus. We looked the trophy in and out just amazed at the eyesore but the potential she had. We were out fishing the lake the next day and I thought to myself... What would I name it? So I asked justin, and we shot names all day long. I knew I wanted it to have meaning and I really liked the fact that all boats have a great story. I like boat names that had REEL in them.. I asked justin, how do I encorporate all of this? He sat on it and simply stated "REEL STORIES", I laughed and as a ball buster said HA! Then I said it even more, it all made sense, it was the PERFECT name. I knew it had meaning, and it explains it all. REEL STORIES, go figure? When we fish, the STORIES get told over and over. Where were they made? At the end of the REEL. 

Nick

post-145590-0-34456300-1361324669_thumb.jpg

My boat went unnamed for several years because I could not find a name because I wanted to have the boat name be fishing related as well as connected to my kids...so the name became Reel MaJiK.  M,J,K are the intials for my three kids. 

Mine came with the name sea mist. I didn't really like it at first but grew on me and decided not to change it. The previous owner ran it in Florida and NY so I figured he got Sea Mist from Ocean fishing.

Edited by Chas0218