How you named your boat?

DJ 17

The "Misty" name goes back to the early 70's when my dad owned a modified V-hull Thompson. It was named Misty. My grandfather purchased a 1975 Pacemaker 42' Sportfisherman and named it Misty III. Once I was old enough to own my own boat, I wanted to keep the family heritage going, so my first boat back in the mid-90's was named Misty IV. When I sold that boat and upgraded to my Islander in 2005, I toyed with naming it Misty V, however everyone knew me as Misty IV, so I transferred the name over to the Islander, despite many people saying it's bad luck.

I never could find out what happened to Misty II, but my dad says it may have been the name of the inflatable raft on the Pacemaker.

I have owned over 100 boats in my quest to find the perfect boat for me, and rehabbing them and selling for a profit supported my habit.   Only a few got named.  There was the Sea Nymph GLS that I named "Pure Lure", the Starcraft Islander that I named "Rock n Troll", and then on one of those 14 hour days fishing Lake Ontario with two good friends who got into the beer pretty heavy that day, in between fish we began to come up with the most outrageous boat names that we could. Sky was the limit as far as the "creativity" went.   One of those names appealed to me and was actually clean enough to use.  Since that day every boat I have owned has been named "Throbbin Rods".  There is one exception.  I have for several years kept a 16 foot side console Sea Nymph that I use for waterfowl hunting and small water fishing.  That one is named "Cast n Blast"

Throbbin Rods

This is always a great topic....lots of great names & stories!!  Great read :yes:

This topic came up in 2009 I think it was,started by our late friend who sadly passed away in 2010 Duane Jones.  I never met Duane, but we spoke on LOU and by PM many times and when I looked up this post, I sadly noticed his last post was Oct. 15, 2009 wishing me a happy birthday.  Gone, but not forgotten Duane, aka Chinook.  His Boat name....Heaven Bound was named to keep a friends memory alive, and I would like to keep this memory alive by re-posting his boat name story......

As posted by our buddy the late "Chinook"

Boat name-Heaven Bound-
Home port- Oak Orchard
Boat name origin- A good friend of mine Dave Guth ( use to go by Guppy and, whom I fished with for over 20 years) was just getting ready to semi-retire. He and his wife just bought a 35 trailer and put in at North of the ridge campground .They also just purchased a 24' Penn Yan the fourth week of Aug of 03- Well to make a long story short. on Sept, 12th just 2 weeks later he was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. I was the first he told. On Dec 27th he passed away of that year. 5 days before he passed away, he told me that he wanted to give me the boat as an act of our friendship. No compensation wanted, he was adamant about it. Well in the mean time i was trying to witness to Dave and firmly believe that he was right with the Lord. So I believe that even though he is not here in person, he now stands before God. So this is just my way of trying to keep his memory alive. He was the type of friend we all should be blessed with at some point in our lives. Thus- Heaven Bound

you can add me to the club "people who dont like my dog can sit on the dock"

i lost my chesapeake bay retriever Goosie last year to a brain tumor, it was very difficult, he was a typical chessie, hardheaded, loyal to a fault, and his favorite thing in the world was going swimming, i would literally have to get in my truck and pretend i was driving away to get him out of the water, as a youngster he was very lean, with a big head and all teeth, in the water he looked like an alligator, well i picked up a 20 foot penn yan a couple weeks ago, a boat i had wanted for a long while, as I worked my fingers off trying to bring it back to the living i tried to think of a name, and only one name could fit,

i put the decals on today, "Gator Goose"

Edited by blackdogg

I have been teaching Phys.Ed. for 14 years and am still nothing but a kid at heart ( like most of us on here!). I think I have come up with a name. When you were a kid what was your favorite part of school??  Besides Gym class anyway!   RECESS!!!!!!   I'm always ready to play (i.e not work!), so my boat is my adult version of  RECESS!  What d'ya think?

That's a good name Dennis, and very fitting. You have inspired me to name my rig. I was thing about calling her the "Catastrophy". What do you think?   

Great name if your dog named it........ "Cat-ass-trophy"....... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Not really so much as to how we named it but the evolution of the  boat logo on the transom.  My first Landing zone was a 24.5 Sea Ray Amberjack and the letters were a variation of a stock script.  My second was a 31 Ft Baha and since one of my sons is a graphic designer he created the first logo below (note the characteristic Baha top).  For various reasons, I downsized next to a 24' Lund Genmar Sportcabin.  The next image shows how the logo was modified to represent tthe Lund.  Lastly, I went larger again to a 27" Sea Ray Amberjack and my son modified the logo again to reflect that change.  Thought someone might appreciate the sequence.

post-139532-0-75460000-1366393333_thumb.jpg

post-139532-0-49307200-1366393981_thumb.jpg

post-139532-0-32278700-1366394016_thumb.jpg