Bert's Tracks - how long do I need?

Hello All

New to the site and trolling on the big lake and trolling in general, ... a real newbie!!

I want to install some Bert's tracks and rod holders on my 18' Lund fisherman (1999).  I am mainly going to troll for browns in the spring and perhaps Salmon in the fall, but Browns have been my main interest.  So, ...  I may want to run 2 to 3 rod holders on a side (not sure what the rules are for rods/people on the boat) and planar boards.  I also may want to mount a down rigger at some time and a rod holder on each side, but this is a secondary requirement right now.  Just curious if anyone can give me advice on length of a Berts track I should use to hold say 3 rods on one side for planar boar trolling.  I don't really know how far apart the rods should be when the lines are out, connected to the palanr board tether line. 

BTW, what do people use for the tether line from the planar boar mast to the planar board.  I am going to build a mast and reels and want to know where to get such required line.  Can I just use some thin utility like from Lowes or something (that colored suff that I think it called poly line that is 3/16" thick).  Not sure if the line will impact the releases as they slide out?

I have a bunch of other questions about trolling for browns, but I will post again later :)

Regards

Peter

you can run 3 lines per licensed angler. I would install a 2 ft track for 3 rods. its not the distance apart as much as the different angles of the rods. i just buy replacement line for my planer reels. some people use weed wacker line.

Edited by traveling man

Your allowed 3 lines per person(licensed). In my opinion not to undermine traveling mans is 24 inches per side. I have seen people run there planar lines of big jon triple trees that are a mere 2 to 3 inches apart from one another. they also make planar board specific line that you can order offline or find in practically any lake side tackle shop. However I know that my father used masons line like your speaking of but it tends to rot out faster. Hope this helps.

Best would be 3 holders per side, as that is the rods allowed per angler. They could be done individually or you could purchase a 2 or3 rod set mounted on a pedestal base (I have doubles on my Lund 18 Fisherman). Buy a track if you want that you could mount both the pedestal and downriggers onto. I'd do 36 in. for this application to get seperation. Or the pedestal and riggers could be mounted to the gunnel separately as I have done before I knew about tracks.

On a new boat with no holes in the gunnel (or an older one with many holes already), I'd get the track first and attach it. I'd also purchase the longest track that fits the boat. That way you have the ability to add items or change brands of items as desired. Or reposition them. Give yourself flexibility for the future. I didn't with my 06, and have had problems when changing things up because of different bolt hole patterns of different brands. With the track, anything can go anywhere and repositioning is easy. The only holes you have to drill are for the track itself (make sure they have a full length backer on the underside of gunnel for maximum strength). Any equipment in the track will need the appropriate track slider plate for the equipment to attach to. Added expense, yes, but you've already invested big bucks for the boat. A track system will add value to your boat, make changes VERY easy, and allow you to remove items easily if safety or storage are issues for you. 

I have tracks on both my boats and have either added track or wished I had.  So go with more track than less.  Check how your Lund is constucted as I think you will need some additional backing to support your track especially if you plan to add downriggers.  For planer board line you can buy 130lb or 200 lb test  planer line pretty reasonable and I find that lays on a mast reel better than the weed wacker line.  A suggestion before you make a mast and a big board system, take a look at the in line board options.  I think in line boards make sense especially in smaller boats. 

All

thanks for your input, this has been very helpful.

I assume by a backer platte you mean like a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 inch marine plywood under the gunnel where the track attaches?  I am pretty sure I have access to that area to put in the backer.

Regards

Peter Z

Maybe this will help you..This is a 20' Crestliner, She has every piece of metal, Bert's makes on her.

65bq5c.jpg

Maybe this will help you..This is a 20' Crestliner, She has every piece of metal, Bert's makes on her.

65bq5c.jpg

I don't know if you noticed the CF #'s but my boat and I are in California...I have spent thousands of dollars on different systems over the years. Not one on the market will hold up to the salt water environment  like Bert's .

I have been running Bert's now for seven years with out any corrosion on any of there product. I was concerned about the Bert's Adjustable Ratchet Rod Holders at first and salt water corrosion , but they just keep on ticking.