Speed and temp

tannero

I'm going to start fishing in Ontario this year and wondered about the necessity of having a speed and temp sensor.  I have talked to a few guys and said they'd rather have a speed and temp over any other gadget to find the thermocline as this is typically right where you want to fish.

I've typically used my fish finder to to see where the bait and fish marks are to set my lures.  I realize there is blow back and such but wanted to see how the forum weighs in? 

Speed and Temp a must have on L.O.?   

Any suggestions which ones to look at? 

I'm going to start fishing in Ontario this year and wondered about the necessity of having a speed and temp sensor.  I have talked to a few guys and said they'd rather have a speed and temp over any other gadget to find the thermocline as this is typically right where you want to fish.

I've typically used my fish finder to to see where the bait and fish marks are to set my lures.  I realize there is blow back and such but wanted to see how the forum weighs in? 

Speed and Temp a must have on L.O.?   

Any suggestions which ones to look at? 

A must have? absolutely not

Most important accessory on the boat? yes

Temp is certainly one of the critical factors once the thermocline has set up. Finding that temp break below 50 degrees can make or break as wether your washing lures or putting them in the strike zone.

speed def helps but there are other things that will give you an idea of what your speed is such as  gps, blow back on rigger cables & pull on dispsies. The big difference is there can be great currents on the Lake that can greatly varie lure speed at different depths VS the surface.

I have tried many different versions of speed & temp units...the new Fishhawk X-4 is hard to beat IMO...

If you look back there is other posts on this subject....

Have fun! :)

Edited by flashpoint

Right on with that. Surface speed and temp is needed for spring browns. As the fish move offshore, as bandrus said, down speed and temp is more important than a FF. However alot of fish are caught out of temp so don't get too focused on preferred temps. I think I just contradicted myself.

A definite necessity.  Re temp: What you read on the internet is usually at least a few hours old and the lake changes quite rapidly.  What you hear on the vhf is great but where is that guy?  There can be a drastic difference 2 miles away, especially E & W of the Genny.

Re Speed:  Currents can be different 1/2 mile away.  Which way is that guy on the vhf trolling?  Speed can make all the difference in the world.  Your lure can look great on the surface but what will it look like 50 ft down?  It might be spinning out of control or just lying there. At times I've seen three different currents in 50 FOW.

Tom B.

(LongLine) 

I would rather leave the dock without a fishfinder then a speed and temp probe.

X2  I think the down temp is the more important of the 2 probe readouts.  If you're not in bad current you can go by your GPS for speed and get by.    

Temperature is key.  I've seen Mexico Bay in the summer where 100 yards will make the difference between 50 degree and 70 degree water at the same depth.  If you don't get the temp right, you're just wasting your time in my book. 

I came to this conclusion when I first started fishing up in Manitowoc Wisconsin a few years ago.  We went out on a Friday evening and had 45 to 50 degree water within 1/4 mile of the breakwater!  We slayed the kings that night and the next morning.  Following a big wind shift during the week, we went out the following weekend and found that close in water was all in the low 70's!!  We had to run out to the 100 foot line before we got into some 50 degree water. 

Fishing at that point was with riggers at 110 to 120 to get on the fish.  That justified the price I paid for my depth raider! 

You can catch fish with just using your fish finder, but your catch ratio will at least double using a speed/temp. I started with just using my Fish Finder looking for bait and fish and did ok, but now I will run to an area drop my probe and if I do not see the water temp I am looking for I dont set up and keep going looking for the right temp. Most of the time you will get fish that did not show up on you FF by just fishing the correct Temp and going the correct downspeed. What you will notice for example is say heading North you will need to go 3.2 SOG on your GPS to put decent action in your lures and catch fish and for the same depth heading South you may only need to go 1.8 SOG for tha same action. This is all caused by the currents below. In my opinion a decent Fish Finder with a Speed/Temp probe is the most deadly cobination you can have.

I thank everyone for the feedback.  I did some reading and it does look like the fish hawk is the recommended device by most.  I'm going to keep reading but it does sound like this is a great investment for trolling.  Heck, all the time and fuel we spend on the lake, try to make the most out of it if you can :yes: