Source(s) of used motors

PaulADK 100

It has been a long haul, seven years to be precise, but my restoration project is almost complete. She may not be the most beautiful boat in the fleet, but I doubt there are very many other 1960 Cobia's of any description still afloat.

The boat is a 16' fiberglass cuddy, with all the bells and whistles from an electric anchor winch to twin down riggers and a pair of 3500GPH bilge pumps, marine radio, etc., all run by four (heavy) golf cart batteries.

My next question, is what to hang off the transom? Prior to my taking possession, the boat sported a non-functional sixty horse Mercury. Unfortunately, the only larger motor I have is a 28HP Johnson. My Johnson runs great, but would probably make me underpowered for the big lake. What I would like to find is a decent (reliable) older motor in the 40/60 horsepower range.

Any suggestions about where to start looking or what makes and models to avoid?

Thanks for the suggestions. Lots of newer motors around here but nothing of an appropriate age or size. As for pictures, I have a full set from day one but they were all taken before I got a digital camera so there is no way to post. This has been a complete restoration starting with just the fiberglass shell. I must admit, I am quite proud of the results. Other than some features I built in to make the boat more fishing friendly, (rod storage racks, live well that doubles as a rear seat, etc.) it looks completely stock.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a few on Fishusa forums and bought a boat off a guy on there.

Here's the link: http://forums.fishusa.com/

Also keep an eye out around your area. I got a great deal at a garage sale on a 77 55hp evinrude that needed some work, I got it for a $100 from a local preacher who told me what was wrong with it. I am going to rebuild the carbs this winter and replace the impeller. Also it needed a steering cable and control cables, but for less than $500 I got a good motor. I've already had it running and it seems to run good just needs carb work.