3rd Rut?

MyKey

My brother was driving thru warren center pa yesterday eve and witnessed a rut like scene.

A large group of deer (doe?) ran across the road and charging behind them was a 4 pt and an 8 pt. the 4pt provided more entertainment as he snagged the barb wire fence and trashed some wire and himself. I guess they could be freaks with horns and maybe Bigfoot was chasing all of them?

Its not that uncommon!  Late born fawns will often come into estrus very late in the first year if the conditions are right.  I've seen some chasing activity in the past couple weeks up here in NY as well.  As long as there is enough nutritional value in the food source they are on to support the hormone change, it can happen.

• 1 month later...

Depends more on Buck to Doe ratio.  But this is indirect.  The Rut stop when estrus stops.  to stop estrus you must have implantation.  To have implantation, you have to have implantation. :*

I work on a complex that has a very low buck to doe ratio.  It is not uncommon for me to see Antlers in April.  This year I haven't seen any which I deem as a good sign.

The scene you described, doesn't sound like rut because they were herded.  I like the Sasquatch theory.

BTW, guy this morning was telling me he thought he saw a Doe dropping a fawn this morning on his way in.