I want to run cut bait with a flasher on my center rig this summer. Question: I understand that Rhys Davis no longer has cut bait, They have artificial bait. Has anyone tried these? Where can I purchase "GOOD" cut bait herring strips? I ran one of these in my spread (center rig) a few years back, and it was very productive. Thanks for any input. Steve..............

We ran both the Fish On and the Eerie Deerie strips this past season. Both will work just fine! You can find them at various shops up and down Lake O. Now here is my $.02 on the difference between the two, which you can take with a grain of salt because we only mess with it when $ is on the line. Other wise it's just easier to run our A-TOM-MIKs. The Fish On looks the best out of the two strips. Both cosmetically, and the size. However, the Eerie Deerie seems to hold up better longer in the water.

The Canadians are BIG meat guys, and have various brine's for their bait. When we fish against them in the summer these guys are running 75% or more meat rigs. We go right by them with our flies and seem to keep up with them, and most times do a little better. If your "fun" fishing other things will keep you busy enough that you don't have to mess with the stuff. If you want to learn and become good at have fun. It does catch good fish, and some days it will out produce flies.

Rick is right we do run a lot of meat I can be expensive but if tuned right deadly for big kings, I have never used the "fish on" but the erie derie works well I know some ppl that brine it after they buy it to make it even more durable

This past year I ran one meat rig or more every time I fished and the 10 biggest kings I got this year were all on meat

I can be messy expensive and tricky to run right but when you figure it out it works well

Cheers JB

I'd add that there is also cut ballyhoo being sold that looks almost identical to herring.  I think it was Erie Dearie brand, but I'm not sure.  It definitely under-performed the real herring and I would stay away from it, from my experience.  Some days cut bait worked and some days it didn't.  The issue is that there were some days when it was practically the only thing that worked and worked well!  It will always be in my spread. 

Doug

Get the best of both worlds and run sushi flies.  I only use a small piece of one strip on the single hook of the fly.  You get the attraction properties of the flies and the smell of cut bait.  Brine and cut the strips into smaller strips the day before and store in your cooler.  Most of the time you can get more than one fish out of a piece if they are brined correctly. 

Some good ideas-----not too sure about ,Brine Sushi. Looking for replacement bait for teaser head and flasher set-up. The 6 pack baits of herring/ the scales are missing etc. The larger flasher in the center of the spread attracted the fish to the bait or flies,spoons outside of it. How do you brine? thanx. Steve...... 

Brian, cheaper and easier still is to just add an emerald shiner to the hook.  Fresh meat that is easy to find in bait stores.  I just drain a bag of them and throw 'em in salt.

Brian, cheaper and easier still is to just add an emerald shiner to the hook.  Fresh meat that is easy to find in bait stores.  I just drain a bag of them and throw 'em in salt.

Good idea Chad. Only issue is they do not smell as strong as Herring. 

What is the legal issue of using maybe an Alwife or smelt you have netted out LO ?

None that I know of. I know a few people who do this. I think since they are already in the lake you can catch and use them for bait with no issues.

I think there is more smell with emeralds than you think.  I started messing around with them last year.  I was fishing off the pier at Olcott and kept getting my spoon "tapped" by nipping fish.  Frustrated, I grabbed an emerald and broke up pieces and put it on my treble.......next cast Coho.  Bare hook....nothing.  Loaded hook......more Cohos.  That got my attention.

I've been wondering about smelt myself. In Maine the biggest producer for landlocked salmon and lakers is sewn smelt trolled slowly at < 1 mph. I think it would probably work well on GL salmonoids too. Anyone have experience with it?

I decided to try running some meat rigs last summer. I bought a couple set-ups all matched and rigged from Big Weenie. Bought some Erie Deerie strips. They were very simple to run and took fish from the first trip out. The first batch of strips were freezer burnt and looked aweful. Then I got some really fresh ones. Didn't seem to matter. I fished them un-brined and brined in Pautzke. The brined strips lasted longer and seemed to get more hits. I was bought them from local tackle shops in Oswego and Pulaski.

I personally don't by cut bait.   I have found over the years that just a stip of belly fat off a fish you caught works just as well.  Usually after I clean fish I will cut some up into small strips with the skin on and put in a baggie and freeze.  Take it out on next trip on the water.   Usually 1 piece will stay on the entire day, just dip it back into the baggie to freshen the aroma up a bit.

Sounds like a good idea. But I don't think you can use gamefish or parts of them legally. Anybody know? I believe it works! I've rubbed my flies on a salmon in the cooler to get a little scent on them. ;)

In Michigan we are allowed to use:  Any fish (except lampreys, live carp, and goldfish) and frogs may be used as bait when legally taken and possessed. 

Not sure on other states regulations. 

Found it here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/33072.html

14. Can I use perch, sunfish, suckers or other angler caught fish as bait in the same water I caught them from?

Yes. If the fish you caught by angling is in season, meets the
minimum size limit, and is within your possession limit, you can use
that fish for bait. That fish counts towards your possession limit even
if it gets off the hook. Please note that perch, sunfish and most other
angler caught fish cannot be collected by methods other than angling and
cannot be sold as bait fish. The only species of fish that can be
collected by methods other than angling and used as bait fish are
minnows (except carp and goldfish), killifish, mudminnows, darters,
sticklebacks, stonecats, smelt, alewives, suckers and blueback herring.
Possession of endangered or threatened species is prohibited.