It is illegal to use parts of gamefish as bait. Get caught and your facing a hefty fine. I second rubbing my flies and spoons on fish in the box to add scent.

Not that it affects our laws in Michigan which allow such practices, but Mortigan cited a reference above, are they not too gamefish??  I looked through NY game laws too but seen nowhere that it was illegal to use "gamefish" parts as bait.   Would be interesting to hear the truth in the matter for those that would like to try it. 

As long as the fish is in your cooler and counted towards your daily limit, why on earth would it matter if you cut a strip off it's belly to use to catch more?  I think that is another one of those things that many people assume to be the case, but in fact, is not.  At least I've never been able to find any specific prohibition in the regulations. 

If someone claiming it to be illegal can cite the pertinent regulation, that would be helpful.  I believe Mortigan posted relevant inforation to the contrary above.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

• 2 months later...

I've never tried meat rigs before but may this year. What bait holder do most people use with their herring? I see Pro-Troll has several models. Anybody recommend any specific model? Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I ordered a few of the matched pairs of stinky bait holders and flashers from Big weenie. Looking forward to trying them out of Olcott when I make it up there in a week. 

I personally run meat pretty much every time I fish kings. I have not been able to confirm real meat out performs artificial.  I run both types of strips all the time, but we take just as many big kings on artificial as we do on real meat. I have always believed in using live bait to catch fish, and I want to believe real meat would out fish artificial...I really do. I just personally can't confirm it. One thing I do know is Artificial does catch a lot of kings on our boat !

I believe the trigger is the death roll of the meat rig that generates the strike....not necessarily the scent. 

Edited by Fishtails

When using these sushi flies are you just adding the piece of herring to a trolling flies or are these special flies?

I just add a 1/4" wide x 1" long piece to a normal Atommik fly.  It has worked WAY better than cutbait for me.  I buy hole herring, filet them myself and put in salt (non iodized) the night before the trip.  I hook it on the tourney tie single hook and it sometimes lasts a couple fish.  It ends up being a lot cheaper and easier to use than cutbait. 

I'll  throw my 2 cents in and it's just that. Last year I ran through a case of Familiar Bite cut strips (Rhys Davis) heads and 4 packs of the Erie Deerie strips. My finding are this..... they both caught fish. the Erie product is tougher and did on one trip hold up to 3 kings where as the Familiar Bite was a fish a strip. That being said I did catch more fish on the FB than ED.  My boat will always have some sort of cut bait onboard...... kinda thought it interesting what Capt. Rich (Yankee) had to say ... if $$$ is on the line then ???? I don't compete with the big guys out there but I DO want to catch as many fish as possible when I go out.

• 3 weeks later...

I wont leave the house without meat. I cant get rd anymore so i use erie derie. I have also experimented with mackaral and whole herring. As long as you have some form of meat your in good shape, i believe the smell of one or two meat rigs may bring fish to your other rigs as well, maybe not. but last year we caught a LOT of fish and i wont change a thing

Considering salmon find their way back to their spawning grounds by their sense of smell, (or so I've read) it makes sense to me that adding a meat rig to your spread would only increase your odds.