Niagara River Fishing 02/17/13

My good friend Shawn and I had the pleasure of doing some Niagara River fishing with Danny Evans(Lone Wolf).  Our trip had been re secheduled due to extreme wind back in January and Sunday the 17th was to be the day.  Danny called on Saturday evening and suggested again that we re schedule :(   The river conditions were not ideal and Danny did not want us to waste a trip.  (I didnt think he wanted to fish in 18 degree weather :lol: )  The forecast was calling for a strong NW wind and temps in the teens.  Shawn and I said the hell with it we were going anyway! 

When I got up to 4" of new snow I said " are we crazy?" but that thought was quickly erased with hopes of getting on some decent fish.  We arrived at the launch at 9:00am. After a few minutes of cleaning  snow and ice off the boat we were on the river headed towards devils hole.  We fit between a  small pack of boats and started our drift.  Within a few seconds I had my 1st and only fish of the day on.  A small but sporty steelhead put up a good fight until it was in the net.  That got the blood flowing and seem to keep me warm for the remainder of the day.

Shawn was much luckier than I.  He hooked and landed 3 decent fish: A 15 lb laker, an 8 lb steelhead and the fish of the day: a 10 lb walleye.  All 3 fish gave up good fights and made the day a complete success.  We ended around 3:00. We were  tired and a bit cold but it was well worth the experience.  Thanks Danny for letting us convince you to get out in the extreme cold to put us on some fish.  It is much appreciated  We had a blastpost-139677-0-32695500-1361393141_thumb.jpgpost-139677-0-35299200-1361393143_thumb.jpgpost-139677-0-92023000-1361393158_thumb.jpg

I did that type trip through the Devils Hole a few times with Capt Joe Cinelli many years ago.  Did it a few times without the charter in my 17 1/2 ft Sea Nymph / 115 Johnson after that.  Was lots of fun and very interesting.  It is kind of far now.  I do miss the action.

Holy Buckets Lou.  You guys are tough, I didn't even want to make the walk to the barn that day to do chores. 

I'm still jealous that you got on the water fishing though, lol

No kidding!  I had fun fishing with you guys in July but this is just too cold for me...