Airmar Thru-Hull Transducer

I see that Airmar has a thru-hull transducer that is flush mount (no fairing block needed.) Anyone using one? Is it installed off center, due to "V" hull--or do you install 2 transducers and 2 sonar units(one for each side?) As long as my boat is out of the water,I want to get this work done. Thinking of Furuno 585(s) It currantly has a Raytheon RL80C Chartplotter with a Raymarine Radar and a Raymarine L770 Sonar(fishfinder.)  Thanks, Steve..................   

we picked up a Furuno 587 and ended up getting a transom mount 'ducer.  we were looking at the thru-hulls too, but weren't 100% sure on what we needed.  Pretty sure you will need just one transducer to replace the factory (if you have one).  BUT, make sure is has an tilted element to compensate for deadrise. (like the Airmar B60)

Are you talking about the B60? We ran it's brother the SS60 (B stands for Brass SS stands for Stainless Steel). They come with a tilted element so it shoots straight down. Great ducer! I think Vince is running one of these now on his Viking. Never have to worry about underwater obstructions with this ducer, and if your on a trailer it allows you to have a thru-hull and not worry about damage from the bunks or rollers.

Any suggestions who would do a quality installation on a thru-hull transducer. I'm shopping right now for a 585 or 587 w/ the B60 or SS60 and I'm on a trailer in Rochester.         Kevin

There is nothing "simple" when it involves cutting a 2" hole in the bottom of your boat but BOE marine has a good YouTube video showing the installation process

Really wasn't too hard, it's just nerve wracking to drill any holes in your boat exspecially through the hull.

You can go with the B60 which is the same as a P66 but going through hull and tilted  or  with 2 ducers,one a 50 KHz and the other a 200.

If you want a lot of very good info go here.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...ml#post5162566

At the bottom of this page you will find the phone # of Gil Travis. An ex-marine who not only sells these transducers probably the cheapest in the USA, but if you give him a call,he will also give you good advice on what is best for your boat.

Edited by rolmops

The tilted element flush mounts are a huge improvment for thru hulls. No more fairing blocks, no protruding equipment to hit a log, and less drag. Steve, your deadrise will be different near the stern than it will midship. Get the right one and install it properly front to back(they are marked with an arrow).

Yes, it's always unnerving to drill the hole but installation is not difficult with a helper.  Good luck.

I've been reading alot of posts trying to learn as much as I can before I replace my fishfinder. Looking at the Furuno 585/587 but not sure to go with a transom or thru the hull mount. I'm replacing a color lowrance that took a crap with an airmar P66 already mounted on the transom. Originally on the boat had a SITEX with a thru-the hull transducer. It was one of the those larger units that looked the size of a minTV, I never liked it so I replaced with the lowrance. I left the thru the hull transducer alone and simply ran the cable to the side out of the way and cable tied it. I have a plug with o-rings on it that I believe is used to plug the hole if you wanted to remove the transducer in the hole. I left well enough alone. So if I went thru the hull would you remove the present thru the hull with a flaring block and work with that hole or just let that alone and start over with a new hole. With my lowrance and the P66 when I had to increase RPM's to maintain speed into the wind it seemed I had more interference on the screen which I attributed to cavitation due to more air bubbles from increasing RPM. I guess there is the possibility this was caused by electrical interference also due to increased RPM. With a new installation I'm trying to eliminate that and improve performance which is why I'm considering thru-the hull transducer. I've been on The Hull Truth site and looked at the installation videos from BOE. Other questions that pop up would the P66 transducer from the lowrance be usable with an adapter to make the plug end work with a Furuno or is a new transducer required? Would I be able to use the present thru the hull transducer with the Furuno by trying to get an adapter to make the end plug work? Lastly I fish primarily LO so what are the benefits if any if you went with a 1kw transducer instead of a 600 watt transducer. Not sure it matters but I have a 1990 Thompson 210 Fisherman. Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Thru hulls almost always give better performance, but are not always feasible. If it were me, cheesyrider, I would "clean up" the hull bottom by utilizing the existing holes with appropriate transducers, unless they are in horrible locations. If thats the case, you do not have to leave a "dummy transducer" in the hull just to serve as a "plug".  A better play would be to get it out, because if that aged plastic ducer or wood or plastic fairing block fails you will have a significant leak. You could fill that hole with a quality bronze seacock(for any number of uses) , or just a bronze plug and cap it off inside. 

If you choose to go with your existing thru hulls, there are any number of adapters available to allow their use with different units.

Thanks Vince for your help. I only have one thru-the hull hole from the old Si-tex. Do you think this is a DYI project or one left for the pro's. Also is it worth the extra $400+ to go with a 1K transducer rather than the 600w, assuming I'm going with the Furuno 587? Where should I look for the adapters you mentioned?

On LO we are usually only looking 2-300' deep max so 600w is fine, the salt water crowd needs higher power for the depth.  Because we are fishing realtively shallow you also want a wider angle cone coming off the transducer so that you're covering more area, higher power transducers usually have a narrower cone. The B60 does a great job for LO.

Watch the YouTube intallation video from BOE, if you can handle drilling the 2 3/8" hole the rest of the install is easy.  If you're using a new transducer you wouldn't need any adapters.

• 2 weeks later...

Buddy of mine jus bought an 11 meter Trojan going to be rigging it up soon just wondering about thru hull transducers for fish hawks? Do they make them and if not what is the best location to mount them to avoid interference from the prop wash

I run a B60 with my Humminbird 957 and love it. It is very clear and picks up marks significantly better than the stock transom mount 'ducer. Go for it, you won't regret it.

On the Fish Hawk, I find I get interference on the Fish Hawk (not the Humminbird) when I have the gain on my 50Hz element turned way up. The symptom is the down temperature dropping out occasionally. That said, the transducer is solid and you don't need the gain turned up to see fish while trolling.

Edited by thompsm7

I run a B60 with my Humminbird 957 and love it. It is very clear and picks up marks significantly better than the stock transom mount 'ducer. Go for it, you won't regret it.

On the Fish Hawk, I find I get interference on the Fish Hawk (not the Humminbird) when I have the gain on my 50Hz element turned way up. The symptom is the down temperature dropping out occasionally. That said, the transducer is solid and you don't need the gain turned up to see fish while trolling.