Most productive mehtod of running flahser/fly combo

Ok guys, I really could use some old-wise input on this one being I'm still somewhat of a rookie.

Iv'e read several posts lately that reccomend running your spinny/fly combo of the divers

and lures off the riggers. Is this the best practice? and if it is, what's the reasoning behind it?

Is it just a tangle issue or something else in addition to that?

Thanks for you help.

Edited by Draggin The Line

If u have a center rigger, u can run a ff off that as your deep rigger. If u run them on all, make sure u spread the depths out and run short leads or it will be a nasty mess. No matter what, I have at least one ff out. I may only be catching fish on spoons, but the ff could still be attracting them in.

IMO, If your F/F on riggers are tangling you are running way too long leads, and/or are crowding your riggers too close together.  I normally run 8-10 foot leads off the ball, maybe out to 15' some days, but most days I have more action tight.  You also should have at least 10' of vertical separation between riggers. 

I remember back in the big cut bait days of the late 90's early 2000's when we were running the big 11-13" flashers and meat a lot of times we'd ONLY have 2 rods in the water, both on the corner riggers with cut bait and a minimum of 20' of vertical separation.  We were typically running 20-40 foot leads with the meat and those big flashers turned quite a big radius at those longer leads.  It was a simple program and when you had it running properly, 2 rods kept you plenty busy and more lines in the water actually seemed to diminish the number of bites.

THese days with flashers and flies, F/F off the riggers are every bit as productive as they are off of divers or long lines.  I usually start the day with a mix of F/F and spoons on all presentations and let the fish tell me what they wont an any given day and adjust accordingly.  Some days it's all an attractor bite and the spoons are dead, some times it's just the opposite, some days it doesn't matter and both get whacked.

I think sometimes people get to wrapped up in the "conventional wisdom" on what presentation they should put where, and can really limit their productivity as a result.

Tim

Thanks for you help guys, it's much appreciated!! I was at the LOTSA show over the weekend and also decided to start

making my own fly harnesses. I got enough components from all the vendors for a bunch. I was going to use 50 lb fluorcarbon

and the guys at Blood Run, said they normally used 40, but 50 would work too. What # would you guys suggest?

Iv'e tied many worm harnesses before and these look very similar, any rule of thumb on hook placement also?

Thanks again. 

Warren

will I run into problems if I used 30lb  seagar?

I just tied up a bunch with it

Might not be stiff enough to give the fly the kick it needs as the flasher spins 

will I run into problems if I used 30lb  seagar?

I just tied up a bunch with it

I've caught a lot of fish running flies on 30# leaders.  But I prefer the 50# on most of my rigs for a little more kick.

After several broken fly leaders, I changed all to 50 lb test. I recently purchased a fly vise from Cabellas (with a base extra) and used it yesterday for the first time. Sure makes the tying easy. Flys I bought pre-rigged that worked for me have beed duplicated and I'm ready for 2013.