Cannon info needed

Willy-C

I have a pair of Cannon Mag10a's  on my grady that work OK (slow but OK) and I picked up another used pair of Cannon Mag10's a got weeks ago

What I didn't get was an owners manual that shows wiring diagrams.....the power cords were bobbed off short......Hoping to tap the endless wealth of marine knowledge to answer a few technical questions

the newer Magnum 10's have "Positive Ion Control" on a sticker......they have the momentary up/down switches with circuit breaker push button...(no other knobs)...my older Cannon 10a's have the maintained up switch for retrieval, so I'm suspecting the newer ones have the internal circuit board to allow the auto-stop feature 

I've read that the auto-stop senses the ball out of the water......does an extra wire need to go outside the boat (pos or neg)?

Can I test the operation of this function jury rigging something out of the water..( bucket of water/work bench/battery)..??.....(boat is currently under winter cover)

I've read that the circuit board is obsolete and I don't really want to do the smoke test quite yet.....can hooking it up by mistake with rev polarity do harm to the internal circuit board?.......(cut power wires don't show which is pos/neg)

Does the Positive Ion Control draw any/much from the batteries while trolling? ....can it be shut off?.....Does it work for catching more fish??.....(.I have dual batteries with a/b/both switch)

Thanx in Advance,

~Willy-C~

post-151807-0-93485100-1361734333_thumb.jpg

post-151807-0-49079400-1361734357_thumb.jpg

post-151807-0-46334500-1361734366_thumb.jpg

Willy, here's my limited experience. Yours more than likely have the ion control with the features you mention with your up button. Cannon back in the day didn't advertise it as having it but found out in fact my older mag 10s did. You can only test the auto stop feature with the boat in water unless your an electrical whiz. The ion bit is always on so you wouldnt be able to turn it off unless you disconnect the green wire mounted to the motor. The system actually works through your cable which by the way has to be steel not braided. The circuit board can be replaced with a newer version, about 85 bucks from cannon. They will also guide you on the wiring inst as it is a little different than the board that's in yours now. Not to difficult to replace. The pos and neg need to be known before you wire it to battery. You will smoke it if you get it wrong. If you need the diagram I have it somewhere just would have to dig. The cannon tech was very helpful when I had the board issue. Hope this helped. Mike

Thanx Mike,

Good info....I don't like the idea of smoking pc boards, I'll double/triple check the polarity

One d-rigger has the cable/plug and the other has just a bare wire with brittle insulation....it looks like the power cord is crumbling from long time storage.....I'll end up buying the replacement cable/harness from someone like Fish307 or others 

the d-riggers were only used a few times but stored many years in a barn, the original owner was suppose to find the manual but has not replied yet, so I'm anxious to try them out without doing damage

When the pc boards go out, do they quit working completely or just not return on their own?

I would check the one that has the plug to see where the pos neg are going inside the unit. If I remember right the positive went to the white circuit breaker but don't quote me. You would be able to find something on the net as far as a manual. Mine when it went still worked but sent a 1 volt through cable which isn't good. Should be .50 to .65 on the cable. So I replaced it. Just couldn't figure out why it wasn't catching fish off that rigger. Low and behold......

When the pc boards go out, do they quit working completely or just not return on their own?

You will have to hold the toggle switch in the up position to bring ball up.  Have you removed the side cover off the unit yet ?  If so can you get a good look at the pc board , if has letters on it I have coded mine for the wiring and made my own diagram....... if it's the same I'll send you the diagram.   I also thing I have one from the short encased board around some place in the barn.....will take a look in a day or so and let you know.........  you also can  wire  it up without the pc board plugged i using a 4 prong toggle switch to figure out where the + - wire hook to make the motor run in right direction....... even then you should beable to tell anyway as long as wires inside the unit are still hooked up by color.

I've read that the auto-stop senses the ball out of the water......does an extra wire need to go outside the boat (pos or neg)?

The pc board , and the downrigger wire make this work....... the downrigger wire HAS to be grounded against the steel shaft running thru the spool of the downrigger........when the wir is put on that's done...... if you run a most of the wire off the spool you will see the access to the shaft............