Lake Ontario Water Levels

Sea Lion

Hi Folks,

I happened to be at the dock where I keep my boat on Irondequoit Bay.  Some ice fisherman and lots of open water.  Anyhow, I looked at the depth of water where my boat sits and it is only a foot of water.  I really haven't paid a lot of attention to water levels in the winter but are we in for rude awakening this year?  Last thing I want to do is trailer my boat but at this stage it does not look promising.   Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob

Expect the levels to be low for the whole season this year. How low depends intensely on weather. With all the Great Lakes down about 3-4 ft., replenishing Ontario will occur very slowly. The IJC will raise them as much as they can to benefit the shipping industry, but they still have to produce electricity for Montreal. Expect Ontario to rise slowly, very slowly, until early summer and then stay at a below average level for the season. Whatever the lake high turns out to be for this year, it will be considerably below average levels since 1998. Harbor and channel dredging are the best way to make boating doable, and that is going to take a while for sure.

The deeper the draft on your boat, the longer you'll be waiting to enter the lake. Even then, go s-l-o-w, know your channell, and hopefully avoid prop damage; entering and departing the lake will be hazzardous for the unprepared or reckless operators.

Trailered boats have a danger also. That danger is where the ramp ends, and the drop-off there. The better ramps are still safe, but low water puts the trailer wheels close to the end. Be careful when launching and don't damage the trailer.

My prediction is it will be a late start for most boaters this year, and a good season for repair shops. Marinas will have troubles also, and struggle to stay open and in business. The lake will go up eventually and make it better for boaters, the fish will still have plenty of water to live in. Just BE CAREFUL.