great lake planners

I'm looking for some feed back on great lake planners. I have given some thought about adding this product to my boat and have contacted the company and they suggested that i post my request for feed back here on this forum. So far my conversation seems to be postive.

I got 2 of the quad vertical holders and they are definitely a quality rod holder. I haven't mounted them to the boat yet but the guy is great to work with.

Edited by Chas0218

I have 2 horizental quads,one on each side It gives me room for 3 lines to the planer boards and an additional one for a dipsey. To have 8 adjustable rod holders is great! It is a lot of lines for a 19 footer.

What is really great about his system is you can add/remove any number of holders. He also makes different angle holders so if you want something the unit doesn't come with you can buy it as an add-on or swap it out for one of the holders it comes with.

So one concern I have is ths set screw the locks the rod holder in place . Does this scratch( deeply) the inner pipe ?secondly does this system vibrate in any way?

Thanks for your response so far, this forum is awesome ! 8 replies over one evening wow!

Captain Pete

Lake Champlain Troutscout Charters

No, they do not mark deeply, nor do they vibrate loose. No slippage either. It wouldn't matter anyway because the housing covers the area tighted into. Tighten them hard. I drilled out the vertical pipe that goes into the base, because that knob kept loosening for me. Solved the problem and no repercussions. Rod holders and planer reels never loosened when the other ocurred.

I own a capatin deluxe system installed on my 25ft north coast this is an unreal system. The owners are great great people and will help you in any way. There systems are second to none. Also they are very personal freinds of mine. You will not be sorry to own Great Lakes Planners products.

So one concern I have is ths set screw the locks the rod holder in place . Does this scratch( deeply) the inner pipe ?secondly does this system vibrate in any way?

Thanks for your response so far, this forum is awesome ! 8 replies over one evening wow!

Captain Pete

Lake Champlain Troutscout Charters

I also own the captain deluxe system and have had it for 2yrs. now.  Originally, I was also concerned about the scratching so I cut off short sections of brass slugs from rod and placed them between the set screws and the tube.  It works fine but I don't think it is necessary.  In reality, once you figure where you want things, they don't move much, or at most they are rotated on their axis and you can't see any mark anyway.  I have been very satisfied with my system and found Tony to be easy to work with for any customization, etc.  I designed a cleaning table mount and he made it for me perfectly.

post-139532-0-76412400-1361982243_thumb.jpg

post-139532-0-89260900-1361982291_thumb.jpg

Edited by landingzone

My Sea Ray has an Atlantic Towers radar arch with two GLP low profile quad dipsey rod holders mounted on top.  Also had the company custom fabricate two down rigger brackets to fit the transom corners, which were later powder coated to match the color of the boat.  This is a excelent company to work with.  Last fall I had two of the old type plastic star covers snap off and I contacted the company that weekend. A few days later a box with twelve new ones showed up at my door.  Great people to work with. Ken

Tony won't steer you wrong.  I have planer pulleys from him that are all metal and indestructible.  Also on my new boat, the arch is located further forward than can be used for rod storage by adding rod holders.  I got two vertical quad stacks and mounted one on each side and am very happy with them. 

This actually works better for me because I'm not tall enough to get rods out of most arches without climbing on the cooler.  The rods angle upward enough that they are not in the way at all when fishing or climbing on/off the boat.

• 3 weeks later...