Sandy Pond, Pulaski, NY

Deaf Fisherman

I'll going visiting my friend at Pulaski on March 1-2. I plan to go Ice-fishing at Sandy pond. So, I need your help on this area. I'm not good fisherman for icefishing on perch. I usually target bigger fish. But my friend wanted me to target them and we can have them for dinner. (I never eat one before) It would be nice if I can get several perch.

General thing that I plan to use is jigging rod. no tip-ups. I plan to use jigging rapala and small jig w/ hair that has wax worm on it. Do this method will do the trick for perch? (i'm using two rod that has 2 and 4 pound line on it.) I am rookie to this situation.

Have any kind of tips on where I can catch perch at?

any direction will do for me. But exactly area will be big helpful!

Edited by Deaf Fisherman

this link will help you out with the conditions, and how they are doing out there, hopefully there is ice. we have a warm spell again this week,you will like eating almost as good as walleye, some say better, may want to get some small teardrop ice jigs, a bait shop up there should help you out, and also give you a report, sorry I do not fish there, go with the 4lb line.wax worms good, may want some spikes also,I would not venture out by yourself. u are going to need an auger and a scoop, plenty of good people that will help you out I am sure,, good luck, most important is be safe, make sure you bring an experienced person with you please.

with this wacky weather.. ice is always iffy..

here is the link http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=221901.60

Edited by kappy

go to iceshanty.com.  you can read the 146 page post on where and how the do things up there.  If you are fsihing for perch i would suggest using smaller jigs up there.  Woody's used to have a decent collection up there.  They should have decent info on the pond up there as well.   Good luck.  there is normally a tourney up there most weekends.

You have to have a certain number of posts before you can view Reports and Conditions page .... I think it's 3.  Go onto the general NY page and reply to a couple of posts then you should be good.

I got nothing for ya on Sandy Pond ... never been there.  Good luck.

Kappy - no, I am not banned from it. I just didn't post it for three times to get that privilage to view the certain post.

I guess Irish56 was right about three posts to view the certain post.

Ice is so strange in that pond! West and south side has 4-7 inch of ice. Meanwhile middle of pond is consist 7 inch of ice. East side has 3-4 feet of ice! (I didnt going to north end due to open water and I was walking at 2 inch of ice then I realized that I need to walk back out.)

Anyway, here is my story,

when I arrived that pond at 630am, first thing, I fell down and hit my right hip. I felt something odd about that. I realized that is where I put my phone.. Oops. I checked my phone. It is definitely gone! the glass screen is cracked and ink is spoiled. oh well. I kept walking 100 yard north from south end. Bam. lot of perch being caught and most of them was dink size. 3-7 inches. Also, several perch range 10-13 inches too. I decided to move to deep area that has 13 feet deep. It was nice decision. I was reward with 3 perch over one pound and couple of perch that are 12-13 inch range. definitely between 3/4 - less 15 oz. (this was at nearby east side) then I moved to middle and west side. no big perch at all. only bunch of dinks. I give up at 5pm. The best of 10 perch total weight was 7.78 lbs.

Next day, went up that lake again, at 7am. I went straight to that 13 feet spot. Caught bunch of dinks! no big perch at all. I walked to back to south end that where small creek that lead to another pond. Fished there, finally found couple perch that was 10-11 inch then rest of them was less 7 inches. I wasn't happy with the perch size. so I walked to middle of lake and caught nothing except 12 inch walleye - relased back. I give up and decided to go east side in search for big perch. that is how i found out that ice is 3-4 feet! I was using regular auger! not gas or electric auger. Image that! it took me probably 5 minutes to finally break through the ice. But it is definitly worth it! since I was reward with couple of 3/4 to 14oz of perch. Then bite started to shut off. I got one small perch that was 4 inch long. I reeled it to unhook perch but 34 inch northern pike smacked it! I fought with it for 15-20 minutes before landed it and released back. I decided to move other area due to pikes. Big perch was definitely gone. Since rest of day with dinks range 3-9 inches. Give up at 3pm. The best of 10 perch total weight was 4.81 lbs.

The only method that I did use was 2 pound line with 10-15 pound strength rod/reel. Caty lure with spikes on it. Also, has the sensitive bite tip on my rod to easily notice the lighest bite. I definitely need to buy sensitive rod for perch. I'll do that at next year when ice comes up again. anyway, that is just only one rod I have been consist caught perch. (walleye/pike was hit on jigging rapala on other rod that has 4 pound line)

I probably underestimate the number for myself. But I caught over 500 perch along with one walleye/pike. It was great two days for me and my friend. I tried eat the yellow perch. It was good. Not the best. but it is definitely good taste fish. I was happy with the result for fishing at that lake. Definitey will visit that lake again for sure.

well you did great!!! :hi:    sorry did not know what you meant by offlimits..  10 perch over 7lbs.. very nice.. so you did not like them that much huh  , how did you guys cook them?  deep fry.. that is the only way I like them.. I have not had any in 2 years, I don't get out that much anymore.. health reasons,  a lil bit of being lazy too. can't take the cold weather, I went out for about an hour yesterday, just killed me, cold, pain.. yikes.. good for you.. iof you ever come up this way again for perch, I will take them off your hands... :lol:    keep up the good work there..

• 3 months later...