Copper questions?

Hey everyone I'm thinkin about getting some short coppers for spring kings 50-200 ft and later in the season spool up some longer coppers 300-600 ft I jus had a few questions cause copper is new to me.

1. Leader length for the short coppers and the long ones what is everyone's preference? 30 ft is the standard correct?

2. Connection? Backing to copper Albright or swivel? And copper to leader Albright or swivel?

3. Albright knot breaking problems when I tried on wire ? I did my knot just how all the videos and other ppl have showed me but almost every time it breAks about a half inch away from the knot on the flouro? I wet my knot but still breaks. Is the line getting weak when I pull it tight?

Hey everyone I'm thinkin about getting some short coppers for spring kings 50-200 ft and later in the season spool up some longer coppers 300-600 ft I jus had a few questions cause copper is new to me.

1. Leader length for the short coppers and the long ones what is everyone's preference? 30 ft is the standard correct?

2. Connection? Backing to copper Albright or swivel? And copper to leader Albright or swivel?

3. Albright knot breaking problems when I tried on wire ? I did my knot just how all the videos and other ppl have showed me but almost every time it breAks about a half inch away from the knot on the flouro? I wet my knot but still breaks. Is the line getting weak when I pull it tight?

30' fluorocarbon leader. Spro inline swivels will provide you the best connection between copper/ leader and also copper/ backing. I would also suggest small shrink tubing to help to protect your knots

copper connections to swivel= haywire twist 

leader/ backer connections to swivel= palomar knot

I've had the Albright knot fail on me a time or two. Get the Spro swivels and make your life easier. I think the braid ends up cutting right through the copper, which is very soft, and that's where I've seen it fail. The swivels are a pain when they are going through the guides, so you have to make sure when the swivel is in or near the guides your very careful. Remember to go through the Spro twice with the copper before you haywire twist it.

On the copper to backing we use a spro swivel. They are getting pretty expensive!! On the leader to copper end we use an albright knot. Shrink tubing is OK on the backing end.

The reason why the copper breaks on the backing end if you don't use a swivel is because of the stress that is put on the copper connection evertime it is reeled back on the spool. Because the copper has memory(twists in it), it does not always go back onto the spool the same way. The swivel allows the stress to spin out on the connection relieving the stress. Havn't seen a need for a swivel on the leader side. 

http://www.fishdoctorcharters.com/template.tpl?selector=video

see rigging copper reels

Magic,

I can't remember the size off hand but the swivel goes through the guides with ease as long as you use heat shring on the swivel.  Look on the atommik site and you will find the swivels and the size. 

I also use a 10' section of 40# mono between the backing and copper, i had lost of few rigs with the power pro breaking at the walleye boards until someone told me to use the mono, no problems since.