LOC derby format changes poll

LOC derby format changes poll  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Should the lake trout division be in all three derbies?

2. 2. Should a trout be eligable to win the grand prize in all three derbies?

3. 3. Would you care if the fish of the day prizes were taken out of the derby and that money got put back into divisons or grand prize?

4. 4. If the prize structure increased, would an increase in entry fee keep you from fishing the derbies?

5. 5. With the current format changes, are you still going to fish any of the LOC derbies this year?

• 1 month later...

There is no way to explain to me how removing lakers is a good thing! It only sounds ridiculous....I think it's awesome that there are other fish besides a king that can win this derby!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app....Doug

hawkeye625, the derby is a trout and salmon derby but if you look at the prize structure it says " $$$$$ for the biggest salmon" in each derby. That tells me that trout are only eligible for prizes from 1st place to 20th in each division but not the grand prize.

I was kind of shocked when I saw the lake trout was removed.  I think the format should include them for the grand prize....30 plus pound laker!  Come on man....why? Just as good as a 30 pound salmon in my book... Just sayin...

Edited by Wolfhound

I personally feel like a 30 pound lake trout is much larger accomplishment than a 30 pound king. A can name dozens upon dozens of people who have caught a 30 pound king, but personally don't know anyone who has caught a laker even close to that.

I continue to be frustrated by what appears to be conflicting or contradictory words from the LOC committee. It's about preserving lakers....baloney, because if it was you would not have it in the summer when the tourney runs 6 weeks. I understand the spring needing to keep it, because sometime laker and browns are the most abundant fish!

But the real reason, it is apparent, is that a few folks believe its not right that a winner be a lake trout. I am all about the king salmon, but a trout and salmon tourney should be about the largest fish, regardless of species. Laker, brown or steelhead ( if by some miracle)!

Secondarily, the fact that people complained about the concentration of winners from fishermen that primarily target lakers and are good at it, is hooey! That's like saying any king caught aboard a charter should be disallowed because their better than me at finding kings. Or all boats can only run 6 lines so that people on a small boat with only two people have a fair shake. Kudos to those that can find large lakers consistently! Come on committee members, largest fish! Period. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, give to Caesar what is Caesar's!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with some of the others lou members that why change anything.I started fishing this lake in 1990 up untill 2003.then my fishing partner got sick and didnt come up since then.Just this past spring i moved from albany to oswego.since i have been living here i cant believe how much has changed.so many places have closed down or gone to waste.here is one place that i used to go was the launch at salmon river just before the main lake.it blow my mind to even seen what happened there.this area has to keep the fishermen coming or its going to get worse.with one little change like that and to take out the lake trout from the derby is going to have an effect.it might be very small but add that on top of everthing else that happening now days with gas prices and fishing cost .i dont how much other poeple spend fishing this great lake but i am spending thousands of dollers to get back into the fishing here.in another 10 years this erea is in trouble.i know for a fact that poeple entering this derby is down.back in the 90's you couldnt hardly find a place to park at wrights landing in oswego for the spring derby this year seen on average of just 5 to to 10 trucks/trailers a day.it makes no sence to change anything.

• 5 years later...
Maybe we should just do away with the rainbow and browns division too? Then 1/2 the lake won't have a chance at all.......

Look back at the previous winners in a salmon division you’ll see that there are a lot of out of stators not locals Dave is doing the right thing he’s a good guy and it’s a good derby

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app