3 Rod Rule Expires Dec.2013

I was not aware, but It was mentioned at the LOTSA seminar that the "3 Rod Rule" expires at the end of this year.  That is what is in the original legislation.

http://m.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/s2462b-2011

I don't know what, if any, activity has started to get this renewed or made permanent.  I sent an email to Senator Nozzolio, who supported the original bill, asking him to advocate getting it made permanent.

I can tell you that ELOSTA and LOTSA are working on this.  I have already made the Conservation council aware and we are working on it.  There will come a time where we will need you to contact your representatives.  I will try and keep you guys updated as we move forward on this.

Thanks,

Brian

Can't spearhead it this year but here’s some ammunition (2 quotes) for those letters, calls & emails from the preliminary 2012 report:

Near record catch rates for Chinook salmon, coho salmon, brown trout, and rainbow trout, and continued improved catch rates for lake trout and Atlantic salmon resulted in excellent fishing quality in 2012.

Total boat trips for Trout & Salmon:

2010 – 50,059

2011 – 49,548

2012 – 46,059

The low effort directed at trout and salmon (in 2012) is attributable to relatively lower effort during the second half of April and during the month of August.

Effort would have been much higher - Look at what happened to water levels during August & September– you couldn’t get out on the lake due to  low water.

License sales did increase during this period:

http://www.outdoornews.com/August-2012/Great-fishing-solid-license-sales-in-New-York/

http://www.outdoornews.com/August-2012/New-York-fishing-second-the-none/

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I'll send another note to Nozzolio as well. I sent him a long letter concerning the ridiculous SAFE act (eventhough he voted against it). I will definitely send one for this. If Lake Ontario was in Wyoming I would gladly move. NY is increasing in suckiness! Like the custom word?

I'll send another note to Nozzolio as well. I sent him a long letter concerning the ridiculous SAFE act (eventhough he voted against it). I will definitely send one for this. If Lake Ontario was in Wyoming I would gladly move. NY is increasing in suckiness! Like the custom word?

:yes:  Goodluck guys and thakns for the hard work.

As i recall from the evolution in the original bill, this expiration was added as a means of making this a trial of sorts, rather than an intentionally short lived rule. I also believe it was done to quell opposition from those who believed 3 rods would result in overharvest from dramatically improved catch rates, maybe from the charter guys specifically, but dont quote me on that.

Given this intent, unless there were indeed some unforeseen negative consequences that the naysayers predicted as a result of the 3 rods, i imagine it should be pretty easy to get the rule on the docket to be permanently instated. the impact of the rule should also pretty self evident based on catch rates per hour of effort year over year

As i recall from the evolution in the original bill, this expiration was added as a means of making this a trial of sorts

Exactly.    Many politicians were encouraged to try it as a "help" to getting people back into fishing NYS;  trying for the Salmon & Trout; supporting the local economies; boosting license sales, etc.  i.e. "Try it & see what happens." 

Michigan tried it, like it and made it permanent.

Sure looks to me like it has helped!  Our legislators need to be reminded of that.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

BTW - H.B - lot of people have said that about you......and me. :lol:

Nitro is right.The 2013 expiration was put into the bill should the have been some serious consequence(s).we have not heard of one complaint as of yet.We will follow with Sen Libous office tomorrow....Zeke and Cyn

We just received a reply from Senator Libous.He will submit a bill to make S2462B permanent.the original bill had the law permanent but in order to pass in the Assembly the December 31,2013 had to be added...Zeke and Cyn

• 2 weeks later...

I just sent a note to Assembly Minority Leader Brian Kolb asking that he support the bill when it is introduced.

I have also had conversations with and received confirmation from Senator Tom Libous that a more permanent bill would be submitted this year to continue this activity.  Tom is in full support and stated that the original bill was placed as temporary as many are to be a trial and this far all comments have weighted heavily on the favorable side.   I would encourage each of you to continue to write to your respective representatives and solicit their support.   Senator Libous is also working hard to fight the rediculous Safe Act legislation.