Rod Holders for Lund w/Gunnel Track System

I just purchased a new Lund Rebel with T-slot gunnel track system.

Now I am trying to decide what rod holder to use. I will need (6) total.

My fishing will be mostly in Lake Ontario for Salmon, Lakers, Rainbow and Browns with some Finger Lakes fishing for Lakers, Rainbow and Eyes.

My old boat had Ratcheting Bert's Rod Holders with Bert's Track mounted to top of interior rod lockers . 

In order to use this on the Rebel, I would have to install the Bert's track above the gunnel. I do not like this type setup.

I would like to utilize the Gunnel T-slotted rail setup and have individual rod holders mounted to individual t-slot adapters without utilizing an after market rail (like Bert's, etc).

I am looking at Folbe Rod Holders. 

What's your the consensus/experience with this holders?

What others would you recommend?

What are some brand of T-slot adapters that I could use to mount the rod holders to?

Thanks

I added folbe's last season for musky fishing and i love them.  i have used them to troll some big a$$ musky lures with no probs.   I also set up a couple wire dipsey rods last summer for salmon and the folbes held up great with those as well.  so far i give them a :yes:  and will be picking up another pair shortly.

as for the tracks- i have a tracker deep v with a similar track system.  I know cisco makes mounts that slide into the lund track but they are not cheap... I believe lund makes brackets also that you can get through your dealer.  I ended up using tracker mounts which are basically thick pieces of starboard about 6 inches long with a carraige bolt on either side to secure into the track,  then through-bolted the folbe mount to that.

I'll tell you one thing, don't mount your rod holder base on the black Lund T-rail mounting plates. I bought a rod holder mounted like that from my Lund dealer when I bought my Alaskan.

I had one of my 10 ft. Talora roller rods in it when a king smacked it. The Lund plate broke off and the rod holder, rod, reel and dipsey flasher and fly all went into the water and sank!! I felt like puking...

About 20 minutes later I was raising my downrigger when I spotted the lost rod coming upper on the cable!!! The fish was gone but the tension on the line from the dipsey and flasher kept the rod pinned against the cable. The reel handle had hooked on the cable as it sank. Nothing holding it there but line pressure and luck!!!

I changed out my rod holders to metal and hard mounted them directly to the boat.

Edited by Dukdog

I would suggest reconsidering using the T-rail mounts and a track system - I have such a set up on my rebel and it works exceptionally well for my Riggers, triple trees , and individual rachet holders - they have taken everything lake o can toss and handled it all without a hint of issue.

I also had the lund cover for my boat - I had the local canvas shop modify it to fit around the track mounts and it also works very nicely

I would suggest reconsidering using the T-rail mounts and a track system - I have such a set up on my rebel and it works exceptionally well for my Riggers, triple trees , and individual rachet holders - they have taken everything lake o can toss and handled it all without a hint of issue.

I also had the lund cover for my boat - I had the local canvas shop modify it to fit around the track mounts and it also works very nicely

What brand of T-rail mounts did you use?

What is the distance from the top of the gunnel to the top of the track?

How long are your tracks on the port and starboard sides?

I think the gunnel track is a great idea but Lund should offer fittings for various applications in both plastic and aluminum. They are missing the opportunity for more $$.

Thanks,

Trout Bum

the mounts are made by traxtech ( my lund dealer stocked them) - they are designed to mount a traxtech track directly to . The top of the track is 2" above the top of the gunnel . I have 24" tacks mounted - unfortunately the location of the gas filler on my lund limits my abitilty to mount the track farther back - I would have prefered to have a 30 or 36" track but the 24s I have allow me to mount a Rigger and 2 individual Berts rachet holders or a rigger and a titelok triple( for spring board fishing).

I have a couple of the lund adapters and have rigged them to hold a down east salty holder but they are no where a nice as the track system

My Lund is older and doesn't have the SportTrac, but my buddy has a new Lund and just got his triple holders for each side from Cisco. Insanely expensive, but wow.. are they built! It takes about 30 seconds to mount them.. and at the price, I'd take them with me if I wasn't sitting in the boat. They do offer just the bracket for the trac that's drilled and tapped to accept several makes of holders. He said they're great to deal with. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)