Simrad AP12R

bushwacker

I had problems with it last year. It was n't holding a course. I recalibrated the compass several times with no results. I installed a new compass and controler about 4 years ago. The problem is in the drive unit.  I called Simrad and they told me they no longer service this pilot, and parts are not available.I had it packed and ready to send. They were no help whatsoever. My understanding is that the AP12R was still sold by them untill 2009. Ya think they'd still service it. I did alot of searching, and sent emails with a few results, that came to a dead end. Just might have to can it. Anyone know of a place that might service this pilot? Thanks Brian 

I bought one used in 2011 and had a wire on wrong resulting in the board getting fried. I called them and if my memory serves me right they had me send the entire unit back and they rebuilt it. I think they charged me a few hundred, I guess i got lucky. I do have the complete service manual in electronic form if you would like it I can email it to you. Adam

As far as I'm concerned Simrad has lousy customer service. I had one of those units on my hydraulic steering it gave me fits for the first year I owned it. After  many many phone calls the computor was replaced and the linear unit plus I had them check the pump and after all the parts were replaced I dumped it and as far as I am concerned that got rid of a ton of aggravation.

Thanks everyone. Yes Glen, It is a good unit, that I hate to part with. I'm gonna keep trying.  Madman1, do you have a schematic of the inside of the drive unit? If so, could you please send it to me at [email protected]. Thanks in advance. Holy Makerel thanks for the info on Octupus marine. I called them today. Still waiting on a response. I' ll let evryone know what happens. Yes Frisco, the guy I spoke with, didn't want to give me any help at all. Thanks again to all. Brian

Simrad was bought out a couple years after I bought my AP.

The AP 12 was discontinued and about a year later the 14 was also dropped.

Prior to that the customer service was second to none.

Dam shame because the units were reasonably priced and performed great.

My buddy installed one of these last spring using a Si-tex head It looks identical to the Simrad and he told me Octopus made them for Simrad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Octopus-Type-S-Straight-Shaft-f-Mounting-Behind-the-Dash-f-Mechanical-Drive-Syst-/310603870258?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item48516ef032&vxp=mtr

I also found them on amazon

Edited by holy mackerel

No luck at Octupus as far as gettin it repaired. They did make the drive unit for Simrad. But, Simrad added all the other stuff in the inside, that a seperate autopilot controler doese, for the drive unit now. Holly Mackerel, did your buddy get the SP110 control head? Hows the pilot work, any complaints? Thanks Brian

I am not sure which head he has. It has more features than my ap12r, and seems to work great. He either got it at Defender.com or Consumer Marine Electronics.

No luck at Octupus as far as gettin it repaired. They did make the drive unit for Simrad. But, Simrad added all the other stuff in the inside, that a seperate autopilot controler doese, for the drive unit now. Holly Mackerel, did your buddy get the SP110 control head? Hows the pilot work, any complaints? Thanks Brian

New pilot is on the way! I went with a Octapuss remote drive unit, a 9 ft. cable, and a Simrad AP 24 Pilot. Looks to be a simple install.  Also, I think the remote drive is a great alternative, to a behind the dash, or on the dash, install for cable steering. I do have AP 12R parts. 2 controlers, newer compass, tilt wheel set-up,  junction box and a defective drive unit. Let me know if I can help, since parts are no longer available. Good Fishing To All! Brian