flasher/fly colors

looking for some advice on matching flashers and flys.do you want to have the same color fly to match the color of the flasher?or is there no rime nor reason?im new to this and have learned alot from this website.you guys are awesome!!thanks in advance

Last year, I had a day when the salmon were crushing a Carmel Dolphin SD and CD Fly.  They tore that fly up so I went with a Crazy B*tch Fly I had and they chewed that up.  Out of similar flies, I put on a green fly and the slaughter continued.  Might have been the day or the SD, but the fly made no difference that day.

I don't think the fish compare the color differentials between paddle and fly, but I like to match the two because I am trying to find a color pattern for the day.  If I start taking fish on a yellow/glow paddle and a hammer fly, I might key on the yellow and throw out some yellow NBK spoons as well.

I've found that your basic white on white and green on green is a good starting point. I have a bunch other combos like the crazy **** fly behind a caramel dolphin flasher which also took a lot of fish for me over the years as mentioned above. If you are new to the game you can't go wrong with a dark green echip or spinny with a big weenie nappy monkey or green crinkle pattern. We always have that combo in the water and it will produce when others dont on a slow day. Also the white echip or spinny with a white glow or Uv patterned fly in the am and switch up to a hammer fly behind a white flasher or one in blue bubble as the day progresses. There are tons of patterns or variations that you will find will work but for you but for starters the white on white and green on green should get you some fish in the box. Good luck to you this season.