Dipsey Question

hey everyone

I am changing over my Dipsey rods from mono to wire wondering what I will need to do as far as backing line? how much wire on the reel? is 7 strand wire better than the new 19 strand and also knots or connectors between wire/backind and wire/dipsey any help would be great!!

mike

would help if we knew what size reels you have on the rods, the 19 strand is more forgiving, less acceptable to kinks, and less abrasive to rod guides.  they claim the 19 strand is also less likely to collect SWF's because of the smoothness of the wire.

chris

Mike

If your using regular dipsey rod you should put a twilly tip on the rod will keep wire from cutting the end guide. 1000 feet of wire fill the spool. I recommend using the same reels if using multipul dips eyes as spool sizes are different. To hook swivel to wire tie a simple overhand knot with loop big enough to get swivel through. Take loop and pass though swivel ring then push the swivel though loop and pull tight. Don't pull with pliers or kink the line!!! A kink in wire is bad it's a weak spot and will break. Good luck

This may be a bit of a personal choice issue but here's why I use SOME backing- I've found over the years that with stranded wire of any diameter it has very strong "spool memory" i.e. tends to tightly curl up as much as possible when the tension is released from it. The smaller the diameter of the wire the more tightly it does this. Often this leads to more easily "kinking". The usable diameter size of the reel spool spindle is a factor to consider too the smaller the diameter the tighter the coils. The smaller the spindle diameter the tighter and smaller the "curling" that occurs and that may also relate to easier "kinking". When stranded wire is applied to the spindle and wound up over time it has a tendency to try to go to the center of the reel spool despite the best efforts of the level wind mechanism. When the spindle has a softer backing (e.g heavy mono or braid)covering the spindle the wire tends to nest or distribute itself among the strands along the spindle over time and maintain a larger "curling" tendency and I feel reducing the possibility of "kinking". The question now becomes "Do I have a bit of OCD"? ..... maybe :>)

Bought two cold water Okuma 453D and put 300ft of 30lb mono backing with 1000ft of 30lb wire, fit nice. Only reason for 300 ft, I wanted to fill the reel, line counters work way more accurately when full. I used the 19 strand torpedo wire last two seasons with no twilly tip, it is way easier on guides than the 7 strand. Although many don't like the 19 strand, they say the finer wires break more easily then the 7 strand. To be honest that is not my experience yet, not sure how many years it should last. I was planning on changing it next year, I reversed it on these new reels and it is like new, didn't notice any problem with not having backing coming off my 30 Okuma.  

Edited by Hooked on Kings

the counter gives you a spot to reset.  Its aproxament not exact.   180 on my diawia might not be the same on the okuma reel to get to 60' down on a #3 setting.  You will get the hang of your stuff by using it.   You will like the wire :yes:  :yes:

I have Twilly tips on my  wire Dipsey rods and before I tie on the snap swivel I slide a bead on the line. Large enough that it won't go through the Twilly. This way when your done you can just reel the bead straight into the Twilly so there is no bends in the wire. Bends, kinks, frays are a recipe to lose $50 worth of equipment. I just reel the bead / swivel to the end and store my rods put together.