steering with a kicker?how?

Kuba

Nice Lund SSS......I wish I had the choice to put mine inside the splashwell but I have two seats in the way and my kicker is mounted on an adjustable Garelick mount.....So I have to stretch out over the back..... :(

post-151807-0-02965600-1366917262_thumb.jpg

Lund sss, brilliant!!! Never would have thought of putting this on the inside of the boat! Much easier to attatch to the motors.

My bows to you guys for posting pictures and for great ideas!

Thanks

Here is some photos of the Panther one installed. I think its actually the same as one of the Stearns models.

Simple install. Works well. Motors can be lifted up & down idependently as there are ball joints on each end. 

Also has quick disconnects on each end. I added a Troll Master Pro 2.....the two together really work well for trolling.

post-142045-0-95395400-1366929090_thumb.jpg

post-142045-0-70927500-1366929106_thumb.jpg

post-142045-0-64240700-1366929124_thumb.jpg

Lund sss, brilliant!!! Never would have thought of putting this on the inside of the boat! Much easier to attatch to the motors.

Thanks for the good words, I've been on plenty of nice boats that just weren't set up properly for me. That's to say things like hanging over the back of the boat in 3'-4' seas.... :puke:  :puke:  :puke: . I've learned a thing or two and as Jimski has said there's nothing worse than sending stuff to Davey Jones Locker $$$$ Last year a Beckman net. hope you get your rig fit to YOUR liking

I have also seen guys use hose clamps around the mid area of both motors and aluminum tubing with air compressor quick disconnects to assemble and remove.  my boat is usually in a lift so I connected them with a aluminum bar from the connecting stud(fine threads)on the main to the tiller handle frame on the kicker.  It is very easy to get at when in the water or on the lift.  The systems connected in the aft of the motor  look like they could be difficult to connect and disconnect while in the water or in a lift.  Please correct me if Im wrong...........................Woops.....edit.....didnt get to the second page......yeah kinda like Lund sss system...cant imagine trying to attach or detach over the top and behind especially when the lake is kickin!

Edited by apb

Steering works! like a charm, the only downside to my setup is rattling:) will have to figure something out to remedy that. Also the 6HP single cylinder motor i got(NEW - trolled with it first time) , is a pain in the butt. Starts and works fine etc... but it is noisy and vibrates. Trolling with my 2stroke 50hp Mercury was much more pleasurable.

Steering works! like a charm, the only downside to my setup is rattling:) will have to figure something out to remedy that. Also the 6HP single cylinder motor i got(NEW - trolled with it first time) , is a pain in the butt. Starts and works fine etc... but it is noisy and vibrates. Trolling with my 2stroke 50hp Mercury was much more pleasurable.

I used electrical tape wrapped around the mounting studs, let it crush in between to become a cushion

Anyone ever try using the steering linkage/ball joints off the front of an old riding lawn mower for steering your trolling motors? They work.   Also when my linkage rattled I used a peice of hose tightened down over the studs, that works too!

• 1 month later...

anyone got a pic of the there honda kicker hooked up  with one of these set ups. I already have the straight rod panther style but can not find a logically place to hook it up. There are no holes on the handle and no tab underneath to put the male piece to hook up to?

Edited by salmonite

take a picture of that motor and post it here, we will find you a spot :)

Sent from my Lenovo P770 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hmmm.... honestly, if this was my motor I would probably just drill a small hole in the handle. I can't see any other spots where it would mount. Unless somewhere underneath the throttle where it connects to the motor?

I didn't read back enough to see what HP that is, but my 5hp Honda looked just like that.

It's hard to explain how it was but I think I still have the piece in my garage and I'll send it to you if I do. It's two 1" flat strips about 3" long. They sit above and below that square handle thing. They are bolted together on one side and the other and they leave a tab to tie that little tie-rod ball end into. You can mount it with the ball facing up or down and space it anywhere along that handle where it works out good for you.

I was worried about drilling that handle part because its cast aluminum and can be finicky. That's why I opted for this.

I didn't read back enough to see what HP that is, but my 5hp Honda looked just like that.

It's hard to explain how it was but I think I still have the piece in my garage and I'll send it to you if I do. It's two 1" flat strips about 3" long. They sit above and below that square handle thing. They are bolted together on one side and the other and they leave a tab to tie that little tie-rod ball end into. You can mount it with the ball facing up or down and space it anywhere along that handle where it works out good for you.

I was worried about drilling that handle part because its cast aluminum and can be finicky. That's why I opted for this.

meals on reals,

You are awesome and thanks so much! Its an 8hp and I was looking at it last night and i thought i was going have to fabricate something just like what you are talking about. ill send you a pm with my personal info.

Under the square bracket of some Honda's are small holes tapped with metric threads to accept the two arms that connect to the ball socket for the connecting rod.

I'll check it out but with my quick searches i couldnt see any... you mean the handle is the square bracket?

Yeah- I think it's also used as the handle for transport.

I'll check as soon as I get home for the part. I almost want to say I tried tapping one of the handle holes but just opted for the bracket I had. Luckily the Tohatsu I replaced the Honda with has holes right through the handle.

I'll let you know about the part.