flasher and fly setup

I have two questions I was wondering about. The first is what kind of line do you guys run between your dipsy and flasher? I have been running 30lb big game and wasnt sure if the stretch of the mono would effect the way the spin soctor swims. The second question is what is the length of your leader from the dipsey to the flasher. I have ran 4 to 6 feet in the past and made out alright. Just wondering if there are any setup or tackle changes I can make to better my presentation.

I use the 30lb big game as well.  I don't use a snubber so that mono is my shock absorber - I was taught to run it through your fingers after each fish and switch it out if it gets nicked or stretched.

Run the leader lengths that work for you. I run 50# big game when fishing flashers on a heavy king bite.

Yeah, what Carl said.  I've been running 50 lb big game for diver leaders with flasher/fly's for years, around 9-10' 

I drop down to 30 lb big game leaders for spoons.

Tim

My dipsey/dodger leader is about 6' - 30lb Fire Line Smoke for years. Nicks & kinks are not a issue with it.

I do use a snubber on my wire setups. I've had the hook pull out with or without the snubber but prefer the snubber to lighten up the shock on terminal connections.

Food for thought,..........if your leader is stronger than your main line what do you think will break first? :thinking:

I've never had either break,  shouldn't be an issue with a reel with a smooth drag.  The 50 lb leader might survive a bit better if it gets nicked somehow.

What he said...V     doubled numbers of f/f hook ups once we went from 6' to 9 - 10' leads...

I ALWAYS run fluoro for translucent properties and low stretch...

Yeah, what Carl said.  I've been running 50 lb big game for diver leaders with flasher/fly's for years, around 9-10' 

I drop down to 30 lb big game leaders for spoons.

Tim

We hand line lots of fish, I also have 11 ft of deck room for clients to back up with a 10ft to 11 ft rod. So we run 40lb and all 10 to 12 ft plus. Seems like on Seneca the longer dipsys leads work great, then shorter off riggers.

Hand lining is tough because you don't get that extra give of the pole so I would run a little heavier line too lessen the likelihood of having a break off.

Edited by Chas0218

Hand lining is tough because you don't get that extra give of the pole so I would run a little heavier line too lessen the likelihood of having a break off.

I definitely agree Chas. I run 30ld. and may try the 50lb for leaders.