flasher and fly setup

Most are using 30lb wire, but braid is ok for depths up to 50 or 60 ft, when the fish go deeper you will need wire, the fleas that time of year stop braid dead in its tracks. You can use 12 lb, but I would recommend using at least 20 lb until July when the fleas come.

I would say 12lb is sufficient in the spring for browns. Really you should go bigger when you start fishing for kings. From what I hear with the braided wire, the fleas stic to it pretty bad in the summer. Jusy from reading on here most guys run 20-30ld main lines for salmon. I run 30lb big game, seems to work pretty good for me.

Most are using 30lb wire, but braid is ok for depths up to 50 or 60 ft, when the fish go deeper you will need wire, the fleas that time of year stop braid dead in its tracks. You can use 12 lb, but I would recommend using at least 20 lb until July when the fleas come.

Yea like HOK said, I personally would run a little bigger so you dont lose some gear and fish as well.

I use 50LB Big Game with a 7'-8' leader early and late in the day, easier to net and I dont think the fish are too picky at that time of the  day.  When the action slows down Ill put on a 12'-14' leader.  I like the 50LB for durability and its easier on the hands:)  

Food for thought,..........if your leader is stronger than your main line what do you think will break first? :thinking:

Stinger,

We run about 10 ft. of 30.

We just run the drag right to the point where you can hear a "click' every now-and-again, to help avoid breaking off, and once we feel that we are hooked solid, then we can ease the brakes on a bit.

If we are pulling a Twinkie, it does make for some "moments of truth" when they are at/near the net, and have heard words said that have agressive "K" sounds in them........lol.

Hey Balls Deep...you sure you want to use 12lb line for these chubby finger lakes browns?  Guys are catchin 14 pounders plus..Just sayin!!   P.S.  The Brown in my profile pic was hand lined in with a 20ft leader.  Just remember your fingers and elbows are the drag!

Have you guys ever tried a clip dipsy? Not a slide diver. In fisherman ran a article a few years back. I've tweaked it a bit to my own liking for eyes but I may crossover for you's. My basic setup is 30lb braid to a 20 ft floro leader with a spro power Swivell in between. Here's the magic take a or-18 release clip and attach it to the front of the diver and I use a quick connect on the back "looks like a paper clip" then I clip the release just above the Swivell on my mainline slide the floro thru the quick connect. Now I have a 20 ft leader when the diver gets to the boat just pop it off like a inline board. Sometimes with a good fight it WILL pop off the line but with the quick connect or some people use a snap Swivell it slides down to the snap Swivell in front of my harness in your case the flasher and will get scooped up with the net. In reality you could run 100 ft leaders like this run out as much line as you want snap it on reset the counter and go to town! Hope this helps

We normally do small turns during our troll, this changes the speed of the dipsys without changing speed of the boat, inside one will drop, outside speeds up and raises in the water column. If we are doing a 180 we keep the same speed, just don't let wire go slack, dipsys will spin and tangle. If our bite is poor, then we always try adjust speeds but turns still stay the same for us. 

I know this comment will probably tick off folks committed to heavy lines  but for over forty years I used 12 lb test for all my downriggers, outriggers, thermocline leaders, and leads to dodgers, cowbell /flashers etc. on the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario (salmon fishing included) and only had a couple "snap offs" and they were due to me forgetting to reset my drag and because I had used a ball bearing swivel with split ring. I changed over some of my rods to heavier lines a few years back only because of the FLEAS. A lot of guys on salt water catch huge fish on light weight and ultralight tackle including sharks on 8 pound test line.....its all about setting the drags properly, taking your time playing the fish, and if need be chasing down the fish and/or letting them tow the boat a bit. Most guys just want to leave all the other lines out and horse the fish in and not mess around playing the fish. Here's a pic of my son at 8 yrs old (back in the 80's with a 30 pound salmon he caught on 12 pound test line off one of my downriggers. I'm only trying to illustrate a point here not tick anyone off....sometimes we forget that it is mostly about technique not just the fancy tackle.

post-145411-0-20418300-1363287909_thumb.jpg

P.S. I realize that with our wire rigs etc. it's a little different situation

Edited by Sk8man

Sk8man

agree to a point, all I ran on my rigger rods back before fleas made it impossible was 12 lb.  Lots of 30+ kings landed back in the 90's on that, though I will say that we were running almost exclusively spoons back then as well.

Flasher/flies DO need beefier line than spoons IMO.

Here's a 32 lb from 1998 or so off a rigger on 12 lb line and spoon.

SALMON.jpg

Tim

I remember being a teenager and pier fishing olcott in the mid 90's. I had one salmon rod and an ultralight with 6lb test. Wouldn't u know a 20+ lb king hooks into the ultra light. She had me up and down the pier a few times but I got her in. Everyone kept telling me I was gonna lose it.

I am running 12 lb on spoons rods and heavier on the F/F's. That is until the damn fleas show up. I don't know if the smaller diameter line adds stealth or not, but if it gives you more confidence in your program catching fish, go with it!

I remember being a teenager and pier fishing olcott in the mid 90's. I had one salmon rod and an ultralight with 6lb test. Wouldn't u know a 20+ lb king hooks into the ultra light. She had me up and down the pier a few times but I got her in. Everyone kept telling me I was gonna lose it.

Oh I'm sure that's what the other fisherman were saying as you ran past them for the third time !!!!!!!!!!

If I were a just for fun fisherman fishing with my boys, I would run only spinning outfits on riggers with 12# test. In fact, I don't even think I would use dipsys out over 150' and certainly would not use copper over 200'. I would also learn to catch em jigging and would never leave 100 fow except for when/ if I wanted to chase summer steel!

BUT, since I don't fish for fun much, I use the heaviest line possible and high quality, high capacity level winds on heavy rods that move fish quickly out of the water.

• 4 months later...

what lb swivel are you running connecting your 30lb dipsey leader to the dipsey? Also, when connecting a dipsey to wireline, can I tie direct or shout I use a leader?

what lb swivel are you running connecting your 30lb dipsey leader to the dipsey? Also, when connecting a dipsey to wireline, can I tie direct or shout I use a leader?

I tie the dipsy letter directly to the dipsy with a swivel on the spin dr end to change off different spin dr/flasher. For that swivel I just use the one that comes with the spin dr.

Sent from my thinking chair...