Lowrance Elite-5, Color Sonar/GPS graph for Lake O.

Considering this unit for purchase, will use primarily for salmon and trout fishing on Lake O. Price is a factor.  Anyone useing this model ?

If you have  this model on your boat, will it read the speed while trolling ?  Thank you in advance for your help.

Willi

Hey Willi, so far so good. Unit was a little tough to get settings clear with downrigger balls but after a few outings I've got it looking good. Bought it with a rebate last year and this year it has a good price too. It doesn't have speed but I have the x4 for that or you can utilize the GPS on it. Overall pleased with it.

I have the elite 5 gold package it came with the chip, and I love it I used it the last two years on my 16 footer in lake o and lake Erie it works flawlessly and the gps shows ur speed, if it's isn't showing ur speed you must change your display settings, also to mark cannon balls better without cranking up the sensitivity, tilt ur transducer up a few notchs so it kinda points back more instead of straight down

Cheers JB

I have the elite 5 dsi gold model which maxs out with depth about 300 ft or so. I didn't realize that when I bought it. Other than that it's a great unit. GPS is good on it too. I did have it marking my dr balls, but I must've adjusted something too much. Will try tipping the ducer back some. If I could do it over again I would've gotten the HDS 5 or 7.

I have the elite 5 dsi gold model which maxs out with depth about 300 ft or so. I didn't realize that when I bought it. Other than that it's a great unit. GPS is good on it too. I did have it marking my dr balls, but I must've adjusted something too much. Will try tipping the ducer back some. If I could do it over again I would've gotten the HDS 5 or 7.

I have the elite 5 gold (standard, not dsi). I have gone to 370 ft of water and read bottom. Have you tuned your device for deep water? You can adjust the gain. But note you can't use the same settings for shallow and deep. There are presetings you can also use.

I really like my unit. Easy to use and has a lot of features. I think it is the best value for money out there.

And yes it tells you GPS speed. The only thing it lacks is trip distance.

Edited by markbellino

Had it since may last year, worked like a charm untill the sensor went, went to lowrance service +5min from my house) and got a replacement over the counter.

+1 on tilting sensor

Best bang for the buck, shows "speed over ground", also works in 300+ feet of water.

I have the elite 5 gold (standard, not dsi). I have gone to 370 ft of water and read bottom. Have you tuned your device for deep water? You can adjust the gain. But note you can't use the same settings for shallow and deep. There are presetings you can also use.

I really like my unit. Easy to use and has a lot of features. I think it is the best value for money out there.

And yes it tells you GPS speed. The only thing it lacks is trip distance.

Dsi is a different frequency and different ducer than the non. It starts to stop marking at about 310ish. I can adjust to show the 0-300 ft but won't know the depth I'm in.