Silly question, but I'm new to trolling(1 year old!), when does the season open for trout and salmon fishing here on the north side? Can't wait!!!! weather has been fairly mild last few days.

Not sure where exactly you are referring to over there but here on the south side in the US. As soon as the ice is out of the channels of the bays and launches its fair game :>) Its usually near shore stuff so you don't have to travel too far out in the lake to score big...you do have to be very careful though as the water temp is still in the mid to high 30's for most of the lake and there are very few boats around this time of the year no matter where you are fishing. My hunch is it may be a little later there before ice out?

Edited by Sk8man

One thing I do notice about flatlining this time of year...sometimes the bite does not heat up until the sun has hit the water for a few hours and got the fishes metabolism going.

stickbaits rule this time of year and stay fairly tight to shorelines. I pull them from 5-6 feet of water at times and usually no more than 20 or so feet.

Rapallas, Smithwick Rattlin Rogues are my favorites but there are many others. A stickbait is a minnow immitation lure. Size 7-11, Original or Jointed, best colors have some orange mixed in but traditional black or gold work well.

I second the Smithwick Rattlin Rogues Don, excellent lure, I have many, use them for the eyes also, many moons ago, when hollowgrinder was cranking, remember they used to take a picture of you and your big fish, 30 35 40 years ago,

and they would give you a free lure. I was hooked on the smithwicks ever sense, used to fish off the piers and catch fish when no one else was.. you are one of the smart ones Don, would take them over a rapala any day..

We are talking shoreline fishing. These lures track about 3-5 ft. down by themselves (no weight). They usually get placed into water where the lure nicks the bottom occasionally, and usually are run off planer boards (inline or big boards) to keep them away from boat spooked fish. Leads from board to lure typically start around 50 Ft. Some don't have boards and just longline behind the boat, with leads that start at 100 ft. and can go much longer.

Out deep on riggers, never had any luck and stopped trying. It should work, but didn't for me. Always tried them "clean".

• 3 weeks later...

If you are after the browns Kuba it is mostly quite shallow fishing this time of year (mostly within 6- 20 ft of water along the shorelines) but you have to be real careful of the boulders and underwater obstructions (old dock pilings etc.) at least over here on the south shoreline not sure about the north shore. With the floating type of stickbaits such as rapalas I usually use a single large split shot about 2 ft ahead of the lure so that it runs a little deeper (especially in the waves) and also to keep it "clean" from grass and debris usually found in the shallows this time of year....the grass hangs up on the split shot not your lure. Jointed stickbaits are more tolerant of faster speeds.  Most of the time you will be more successful with your lines way back behind the boat or off to the sides (as far as you can) well away from prop wash, motor noise. or turbulence. Browns can be skiddish. In the Spring you can get away with running lighter lines (I use 10 or 12 lb test or at least use that for your leader) BEFORE FLEA SEASON because they are known to be ""line shy".   Good luck! 

Edited by Sk8man