Torpedo Divers Antenna for Moor Subtroll?

Gator

Has anyone used this? It's ~80 bucks, not cheap. Better than losing signal at 100 ft, I guess.

They also sell downrigger cable for deep temp sensing with a coated copper core, but I heard that there may have been some issues with the core breaking? However, I haven't heard anything about the antenna. Feel free to pm me, and thanks.

And yes, I know that the X4 doesn't need anything special...don't have $700 to spend on an upgrade, though.

I used the larger diameter torpedo diver antenna made for scottys/big jons that have an autostop bead last season, with regular coated cable on my HP Scotty and it worked fine as deep as I cared to run it.

Their speed and temp cable works fine depending on the rigger you are using.  After hearing about Brian Garrett losing several probes and sharks with it on his HP Scotty due to the stress of the abrupt stop from the high speed retrieve and heavy rigger weights, I elected to not put it on my rigger. ( I believe they have a statement on their website that it is not recommended for high speed Scotty Riggers)  A friend using an older, slower cannon and a subtroll used both the torpedo antenna and uncoated speed and temp cable all last season without any issues.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

Keith.... I tried the Torpedo uncoated cable last year as a replacement to coated cable on a Depth Raider. The 1st spool I got from them had a twisted single strand of the stainless "outer wrap" about 50 ft. in. I cut it out reterminated and called to complain....... they immediately shipped me a replacement......, but it made me uneasy. , I then had trouble getting a reliable signal deeper than 40 ft..... I reterminated it exactly as described and still had trouble...... so I wound up going back to coated cable. 

If you want to try it, I've got 2 spools of it that I'd be happy to get rid of for $50.One of the spools is 200 ft. and the other is approximately 150. 

It is thinner..... if you can get it to run, I'm sure it's a better option.... I just got frustrated after 3 attempts....

Thanks for the replies! I think that I'm going to order the antenna, but hold off on the cable.

Mike, I appreciate the offer,  but think I'll pass. We have the new Cannon STXs, they seem pretty fast to me. I'd just as soon avoid what sounds like it could be a hassle. Hopefully the antenna itself will do the trick for us, and with the big rigger balls there's really not too much blowback.

I used the Torpedo uncoated cable last year on my Cannon Mag 5ST with a 12 lb Shark. I had no issues with it breaking. I can't comment on its signal transmission because my Cannon Intellitroll failed early in the season.  It was a little difficult to terminate.  I didn't notice a big difference that blowback was less than the coated cable.