Sounds like the drag washers are shot.  They will start to show those symptoms before they go.  If they are stored with the drags not backed off in the off season, the life will be shortened.   

The spool may have come loose on the shaft that runs through it.   Tuna Tom pins it when he goes through the reels.  Had that same problem with a greatlakes 47lc. and it was the spool.

The spool may have come loose on the shaft that runs through it.   Tuna Tom pins it when he goes through the reels.  Had that same problem with a greatlakes 47lc. and it was the spool.

Dave,

Is the spool issue one that is persistent or can it be intermittent like my situation....only in the cold?

Ours broke loose with a braid dipsie.  It would reel than slip , reel than slip.  Only to get worse so we had to hand line the dipsie in as one of the guys reeled the line in.  Glad we didn't have a hit during this ordeal!!!  It was summer so it wasn't the temp. bothering it.   The plastic spool is glued to the stainless steel shaft.   With wire or braid there is no give when you get a hit.   Tuna tom  drills a small hole and puts a pin in  , now you have a stud to tie off to when spooling up the reel.

Had same problem took reel apart 47lc and pinned spool don't know if that's your problem ? But reel I fixed been workin great fixed 7 yrs ago. Helps bein machinist also it's been diver reel all this time bac off those drags in off season or long down time. Good luck!

I've had 10 of the original 47H's and 2 Great Lakes LC's since the mid 1980's and I have never had a single problem with them (I hope I'm not jinxing myself here :>) I just recently bought  SG47LC3b's for wire rigs and I hope these new ones hold up as well as the old models. They took the 1000 ft. of 30 lb wire and mono backing real well   The drag is supposed to be the one they use in their heavy duty salt water reels according to the tech rep so I'm holding off on installing the carbon fiber drag washers until see how these work out.

We will see what happens when I replace the drags. I've never had a problem with the 47s.

In case I mis spoke on my issue.....it only occurs when it is cold. March and April cold. The same reel that did not work in the early morning will work fine at 10 am after sitting in the rod rack exposed to the sun.

I would make sure that whoever services your reels uses Cals Drag Grease on the carbon fiber washers. Cals Makes a cold and warm weather drag grease. I've used Alan Tani's tutorials to break down my Penn's and replace and grease the drags. I also replaced the and dogs and springs in all of them. It's not that hard and makes a great winter time hobby. He's a great guy and would be more than happy to help you out with any questions you might have.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3236.0