Eastern Lake Ontario Brownie Season Started-Mar 9,2013

Well, the Belleville Fishing & RV Show was on and the weather forecast was perfect, so a decision had to be made, Fishing or the show????????

Fishing won - We got out on the water at 0830 and found a LOT of floating ice, makes it difficult for the planer boards, but we persisted and found some open water and trolled the four rods with different lure and spoons.

IMG_0112-Ice-1_zpsa4dc521a.jpg

We trolled for several hours making our way to West Point with nothing to show for our efforts. After a tour around West Point, we headed to the east to try and find some warmer water. We set the rods and made a pass until the ice floes blocked us, turning around and heading back, John said -there's a boat up the shore.  As we neared we could see a kayak coming along. we passed and shouted hello.

Just before talking to John in the kayak, one of our outer boards screeched for a second and then nothing!!!!!! We had a strike, but wondered what kind of a fish? who didn't hook itself? Zero for one.

On our next pass we noticed the kayak sitting dead in the eater close to shore and as we approached, telled if everything was OK, The Kayaker - John said yeah he was fine, just had a fish after hooking the bottom. Thanks for the colour info John, appreciate it.

It was time to swap the colours of the lures and we put out  Evil-Eyes, On next trolling pass, the inner board closest to shore fired and I was into a fish. Laker John took the net and released the board and I glided the fish into the net. What a beauty!!!!!!

IMG_0117-Superdad-85lbBrowncopy_zps5102b

The fish tipped the digital scale at 8.5 Lbs - a fine speciman.

Our day was almost complete, we had a fish, need a second to finish it off.

The next troll, the same board fired and John was into a fish as I saw it jump after the strike. I took the net and John fought the fish to the boat and the net slipped under the fish, we had a second.

IMG_0119-LakerJohn-525lbBrown_zps97160e4

We fished until 1615 and headed to the ramp with a very satisfied feeling for our efforts.

We came, We fished , we landed fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfect start for Brownies. we matched our earliest date, March 9 for trout fishing.

As Arnie once said - " I'll be Baack!! "

Stay Tuned

David  aka  Superdad