Perch Fishing in the Next Few Weeks?

Not sure that there will be any safe ice this coming weekend, so if I wanted to get out in the boat or from shore and try to get some perch for a nice fish fry, where might I try?

I am closest to Cayuga, but could travel up to an hour.

Thanks.

If the ramp is open at the State Park at the north end (Seneca Falls) it might be worth a shot fishing the west side from south of the park to Canoga at the what would be the outer edge of the weeds 8-15 ft water till it drops off. Minnows and spikes

Edited by Sk8man

Last saturday I ran the cobwebs out of our little fishing boat between Elm and Popular Beach.  It was mirror calm and we could see down to around 25 feet.  I was amazed by the lack of fish.  No panfish, maybee 6 trout/bass and 20 lathargic bull head. Also very little vegatation.  I have heard that the panfish winter over on the north end flat of the lake and when the water warms in the spring they migrate down both sides of the lake. At times wayves of panfish swim to the south.  Anyone know if this is true?  (we due well in this area of the lake May/June with perch)

We tried Watkins end on Saturday.  Long lined with oak leaf grubs and small minnows.  All but 2 fish came on minnows and for ~7 hrs we boated 21 perch.  Water temps are 38 at the surface.  You will need a little more heat to get the eggs to loosen.  This will bring them in closer.  We were doing most of our damage in 50ft of water.  Good luck.  I like what Seasquirrel said - good advice.

Like the guys have already said there is no doubt that if you can find the Seneca perch it is the way to go but I had considered the above before making my suggestion about Cayuga. Seneca is a big body of water and you can spend all day looking for the perch if you aren't very familiar with it (especially the northern half of the lake which contains most of the shallow water. Fishing for perch in 50-60 ft. of water is usually not the most desirable or effective way to do it ( but i'll admit there are exceptions) The north end of Cayuga is shallower and has a much more defined weed growth and soft bottom which holds perch in more circumscribed areas than Seneca in the area I mentioned between the park and Canoga and it is only about 13-15 ft. out in the middle near the buoys. This lessens your time finding them considerably. There are some very good sized perch that inhabit that area especially toward Canoga (out from the cottages) and you don't have to travel all over the lake to find them either. Just something to consider. Good luck wherever you decide to fish as the little "greenies" often present a challenge even when you find them (especially in clear shallow water :>)

If I wanted a fish fry I wouldn't go to Seneca, the percentages are lower than most other lakes. That being said IF you can find them you'd be very happy with the end result. I've been 3 times this year and it's been 2 skunks and a load of dinks. I'm usually doing well (perching) by now and it's just not time for the Big females to be up on the shallows. Soon

I've said this before several times to friends and other anglers. Seneca perch fishing is the hardest fishing I will do all year and that includes musky fishing. Like finding a needle in a haystack. Skunks are very common and that can add up$$$. But if you get into them, there is nothing like it on the planet. A huge body of water, usually rough conditions, crystal clear water visible to 35 feet, 2 lb test flourocarbon, tight lipped locals, super spooky perch strain, and finicky too. They act nothing like great lakes perch, yet I keep coming back for more. A glutton for punishment. Seneca will bring the best to their knees!! If you can master that, you are some elite fisherman. Good luck. 

P.S Some of the best fishing is early May when others have moved on to other species but March-April is bread and butter time.

BP, That is the truth.  I usually tell people that I am that guy that shows up only to have someone tell me, "you should have been here yesterday - we hammered them but they aren't too active today."  I have heard a lot of great fishing experiences on the lake, but don't dream about them the night before, just let them happen, otherwise, you could be letting yourself in for a big disappointment.  I haven't gotten the skunk like in the past, but I have had to work hard for what I have gotten.  Still hoping for that magical trip...  Fish 1/2 day - fillet fish the other half.

When I look to fish there I look at wind forecast and temperature and place a guess to see if it is worth it.  I hate fishing in the wind in general but that lake I hate it most.

Joe

BP captured it very well :)  I've fished it for 60 plus years and just when I think I have it figured out those little green guys do a job on me.... it can be frustrating as h when you finally locate them.... bunches of big slobs and they won't hit no matter what you do or what you use to do it with. Kinda like ice fishing and watching them "nose" the bait only to swim away laughing...To be consistently successful there you have to fish it almost every day and "stay with them" as they move around a lot but certain spots hold them year after year although things have changed a lot (esp. different spots) since the Zebras and Quaggas showed up and the related increased water clarity.