Pulled the trigger on the kicker ;)

Kuba

Price was right, 6HP, 60W alternator, F-N-R, 25" shaft, 4 stroke, came with a gas tank, fuel line, extra plug and tools.

It is also a high thrust model.

The best part is the 5 year warranty:)

post-151057-0-44073300-1363116526_thumb.jpg

post-151057-0-45679800-1363116540_thumb.jpg

post-151057-0-70719700-1363116552_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kuba

Should do the trick Kuba,...good luck with things ...just hope that servicing is nearby if you need it down the road.That is the major reason I've stuck with Merc and Johnson over the years...always some marina that services them nearby and either has or can get parts right away. Some of the other makers parts are hard to get or take forever to arrive. I know you willbe happy with the gas mileage after using the bigger motor etc. :)

Actually, all the smaller Mercury motors are now made by Tohatsu.  Essentially, the stickers and sometimes the handle is the only difference between them.  The pricing is dramatically different, but you are really just paying for the Mercury brand and the Powerplant and just about everything else is exactly the same.

Sk8man, for some reason all these Tohatsu motors surfaced all over Toronto, I know at least of 3 places within "my ramp" that sell and service them. I also looked up parts on ebay for it and the are cheap and plenty. In case it ever fails- I have my 50hp :)

What gas mileage should I be expecting from that motor?

My 1981 7.5hp 2 stroke will troll 24 hrs. (3) 8hr. days on less than 5 gallons of gas so I think you should be better than that with the 6hp and 4 stroke.

Edited by Chas0218

I bought the 4 horse version of that motor last year (except with the extra $300 Evinrude paint job)  Works well but that single cylinder engine is pretty loud.  Didn't buy the two cylinder 9.8 hp because I didn't want the extra weight on my tiller steer boat.  Then I went and lost 45 pounds last year so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.  Engine is reliable though.

I think you'll be a "happy camper" Kuba   especially when you add up the saved fuel costs Good luck!

I trolled 1 day with my 88' 150 johnson and guzzled 10 gallons of fuel. It def hurt the wallet a little on that one.

Edited by Chas0218

Lol, nice!! Hehe. My 50 was not that bad, I will probably be shocked when I see how much gas the kicker took.

Working out the single tank setup now, plus the water separator thing. Do I really need one?

Lol, nice!! Hehe. My 50 was not that bad, I will probably be shocked when I see how much gas the kicker took.

Working out the single tank setup now, plus the water separator thing. Do I really need one?

YES! you would be surprised how much water you catch with one of those.

Sorry I forgot to ask if you are running a under deck tank or portable.

Edited by Chas0218

my 8 hp tohatsu is great. I can go out on the little guy and troll all day and come back in on it on 2 gallons. You won't have a problem getting parts at all, only problem is some people won't service them because they're not a merc. I do all my service and repairs within reason. never had to do anything to the tohatsu except change the oil and gear lube and fill the gas tank once in a while

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, would a fuel check valve work???? My friend mechanic recommended that. Went to West Marine today for a 3 way fuel valve, rhey are like 50$!!! With npt 3/8 fittings, so 65$+ tax everything. !!!

If I put a check valves on both hoses that would work, wouldn't it???

I just tied into the line going to my main motor with a tee. installed a hose with a primer ball. The ball will stop the main motor from sucking fuel from the kicker. i got a honda and it works fine. pump the ball tight and fire her up.

Good luck

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

i PICKED UP AN OLDER (mid 90's) 15 HP long shaft Johnson for my Islander 221V (V6IO). My Kicker bracket is rated for a 25HP..This might be overkill, but I paid $300 for it..Guy really needed the money!

I run a 1971 Johnson 6hp as my kicker. Been in the family since new and was handed down to me. Only change I've made over the years is change the prop to a 3-blade model. Better control and thrust over the stock 2-blade prop. True, it is a 2-stroke, however it sips the fuel.

1978 Mercury 7.5 hp trolling motor here for me.  Used to troll with it on my 18' aluminum.  Upgraded this year to a 24' walkaround... surprisingly I can still use it to troll with on the bigger boat.  It'll push it almost 4.5 mph flat out, or 2.7 mph at the ball between 1/2 and 2/3 throttle.

• 3 weeks later...

Just acquired a 2013 Tohatsu 9.8 HP long shaft 4 stroke to use as a kicker on a Campion Explorer 552.  I got the outboard for 2K and it came with a 5 yr warranty.  I also acquired and installed the EZ Steer to connect the kicker to my Penta SX drive.  Once I am done connecting the GPS to boat power and installing two scotty rod holders, I will take the boat out for a spin and test its configuration.

You will love that motor. The sail-pro version has some nice features for fishing too (alternator/charging system, long shaft, and HT prop already installed). The 4/5/6hp will give you more vibration than the 8hp and up because they're single cylinder, but I always found it easy to live with and not really noticeable unless under heavy load (not trolling). I think Yamaha axed the last of the twin cylinder 6's in '09 (weighed 83lbs... lol).

I put a new Nissan 9.8 on my boat three seasons ago (elect. start, charger,...) and added the HT prop before even hitting the water. It replaced an '02 Honda that always seemed to have "issues", one after another. The Nissan is a dream. Starts quick, is quiet, runs very smooth, and is great on fuel. Pushes my 21' W/A easily in any conditions.

Just added another last week. Got a 5hp Tohatsu as a kicker for my 16' aluminum. I couldn't beat the price ($1050 shipped/no tax) and 5yr warranty. Plus have a serviceable dealer 15min away in Buffalo. Can't wait to try her.

I had issues with tee-ing into my main outboard line. I ended up running my main fuel line into a separator/filter and using the two "out" ports off the filter. For $28 it solved my problems and added more protection for my motors. Wish I would have done it from the start.

Oh- and like others have said... Tohatsu, Nissan, and Mercury (under 40hp) are all Tohatsu's. Merc usually made a "cooler" looking cowl to throw on theirs, but now I think Tohatsu has them beat with their redesign in 2012.

I bought the 9.8hp version Nissan with elec start and long shaft 3 seasons ago for my LUND 21foot Sportfisherman. Love the motor and with ezsteer and a troll master setup it is PERFECT. Have never had any problems with this motor yet and put 250hrs per year on it.