My ultimate glow spoon charger box

Well since winter will never end here in WI, I decided to build a glow box to charge glow spoons.  Its made out of a plano ammo/tackle box with plexi mirrors attached on the inside.  Once side has a 365nm tube black light and the other side has 410nm UV leds.  To hang the spoons, I used a 1/4 metal rod with shaft collars on the outside of the box to keep it in place.  The whole thing runs of 12 volts and uses a cigarette plug.  The entire cord can be retracted into the top of the box for easy storage when not in use.  When closed, you cant even see any light coming out of it.  I always had issues with getting an even glow on purple and blue spoons which are the hardest to get a glow.  The best part about the full UV is that you get a full even glow that seems to last longer than using a flasher.

spoonbox1.jpg

spoonbox2.jpg

spoonbox3.jpg

spoonbox3a.jpg

spoonbox4.jpg

Did a test last night and glowed them up for a few min.  Put them in a dark bathroom and they were still glowing with a steady glow a hour later.  The blacklight/UV glows the lures differently then flashing them with a camera or throwing them infront of a spot light for a few min. 

I personally think that the nuclear green tends to scare fish away until it dies down a bit.  So green spoons just get a brief charge.  The blues and violets are really hard to charge and get a smooth constant glow after that lasts.  Thats where the UV light does its best - it makes the blues and violet spoons glow up really nice.

Whete did u get the lighting?

Here are the 4 led square lights

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-module-strings/lbm-x4-series-led-module-string/144/

Any blacklight will do, just have to make sure it fits in the box that you have and is 12v if you plan on using it directly wired into the other lights.  You could also just use batteries.

For the mirrors I got them from a local store - link below - you can also get sheets of mirrored plexi on eBay.

http://www.sciplus.com/p/PLASTIC-MIRROR_44628

Very cool, exactly what is needed for purple nurple s or bruisers in the morning!

So do you find that purple glow spoons are the best color to use?  Hardly anyone makes them since they are so difficult to glow and to make the glow last. 

The purple glow spoons are great, to my knowledge only one company makes them as the formulas for the paint are proprietary. I will typically run carbons, green jeans, ratchet jaw and geezers in the early morning and switch over to nurple's, little bruisers, mad man and razor burn as the sun gets higher. This may have to do with the fact that the charge on the lures is greater after some time in the sun.

BUT,,,,,don't over think it! Some mornings I will stray from my norm and start with a bruiser and not be able to keep it in the water. We are dealing with organisms with a very small brain and a tendency to think chunks of metal look like food!

Bud, that looks like a Strip Club for fishing lures.

Awesome!

You should make more and sell them, that is a great idea.

Its in the works - I've been trying to find better and more reliable sources for black light tubing in the correct voltage and at a lower cost.  I dont want to use just LEDs, because the wavelenght is too high for purple/blue spoons.  You need a good old fashioned black light at 365nm for that.

I found a source for a smaller box and for UV leds in the correct wavelength.  Once I get everything in the mail, i'll start contruction and see if everything works the way it should. 

• 2 months later...

I found a source for a smaller box and for UV leds in the correct wavelength.  Once I get everything in the mail, i'll start contruction and see if everything works the way it should. 

If you do start to make them and put them up for sale, would you PM me as I'm very interested.