When can I use a snap swivel and when do I need to tie?

Hi, I'm BRAND new to this forum and this is my first post so please excuse how basic this is.  I've just last year taken up fishing and I'm LOVING it.  I'd really like to get better so I've been doing a bunch of research over the winter and it seams to me, like the guys that are really good don't use snap swivels to attach their lures. I'm not sure if this is just because they have a bunch of different rods so they are able to tie on the lure knowing that if they want to switch it up they can just grab a different rod with the different lure, or if there are times that a snap really isn't the best choice.

I'm wondering 2 things I guess,

1. in general what types of baits/lures are snap's ok to use

and,

2. If there is a lure that really should be tied, is it acceptable and a good idea to have a say... 3 ft. leader tied to the lure, that I could then tie a loop in the other end and use a snap swivel to the line of my rod so that I would in essence have the quick change of the snap, but the presentation at the lure of it being tied?  Does this work?  is there a down side?

Also as additional info incase it matters.  for the time being I'm fishing for, about anything I can catch (mostly bass) casting off of docks and the shore.

Thanks!

This is something that books could be written about but after 60 years of fishing for just about everything in freshwater and  quite a bit in salt water I would say that for most lures especially spoons (heavy ones and flutter spoons large and small) you will want to use a swivel to help keep the line from twisting and to allow the lure to have uninhibited action. The key is using the smallest high quality ball bearing swivel you can get away with for a given lure that is still strong enough for the targeted species. Use single ring (soldered/welded ring) rather than split ring type to prevent line cut offs with large fish. For items like stickbaits (e.g. Rapalas, Smithwicks, and the like) a swivel like that just mentioned can be used but many folks PREFER to either tie them directly to the nose ring of the stickbait  (often using a looped knot) to preserve the original intended action. If trolling (other than drifting or slow trolling) is desired you may want to opt for a swivel as fast speeds can generate line twist. Another avenue is the use of Fast snaps or Kwik clips  for stickbaits which are little metal hook like things which ties directly to the line  that allow you to change lures but they don't have a swivel function.  I think that is basic "swivel 101" others may have additional info. Good luck with the fishing! :)

Whether you use a snap or tie direct, it is very im[portant to check the action of the lure along side the boat with about 6-10 ft of line out.  Sticks tied with  a tight knot like a palomar, especially if off-center of the lure, can lose their action real quick.  Spoons as mentioned above if trolled too fast or if you hit a current in the wrong direction will spin and make a mess out of your line.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks guys, so I've been using all ball barring swivels.  You say to use the smallest swivel I can get away with, when choosing it do I pick one to match the strength of the line I'm using to be safe?

Just a tip if you plan on fishing for kings in the future make sure you buy a real quality ball bearing snap swivel  like a SPRO or Dreamweaver . They are expensive compared to other swivels but are worth the extra money when fighting kings.