Care to sell some Lamprey's?

This came as a PM to me today:

ebbypuma
  • default_large.png
  • 0 posts

Sent Today, 5:43 PM

Hey Neo1945, saw this thread as I was searching for places to buy lamprey eels. Was wondering if you or anyone else you know who might be interested in catching some of these for me? I own a wholesale bait business here in California we use lampreys to
catch sturgeon. If you are, we`d pay $2.00 a piece for them, 
and we`d buy every single one you could catch, and we`d also
pay the shipping to get them out here. Don`t need them live, 
just fill up a 5 gallon bucket and freeze them.
Anyway, hopefully you see this and get back to me.
Here is a direct email you can reply to.
Thanks,
Scott
[email protected]

Hey guys, that was me. I pm`d everyone that replied on the Cayuga Lake lamprey thread.

Seems like there`s so many areas that are infested with these things, but trying to buy

some is near impossible? The Great Lakes Fishery Commision told me that they couldn`t

sell me any, as after they catch thousands of them they just dump them in the landfill

instead of selling them? That`s the government at its finest.

I`m pretty sure you can ship them across state lines, as long as they`re not alive.

Anyway, let me know if anyone`s interested.

Thanks,

Scott

[email protected]

Hey guys, that was me. I pm`d everyone that replied on the Cayuga Lake lamprey thread.

Seems like there`s so many areas that are infested with these things, but trying to buy

some is near impossible? The Great Lakes Fishery Commision told me that they couldn`t

sell me any, as after they catch thousands of them they just dump them in the landfill

instead of selling them? That`s the government at its finest.

I`m pretty sure you can ship them across state lines, as long as they`re not alive.

Anyway, let me know if anyone`s interested.

Thanks,

Scott

[email protected]

Id really like to help but dont know if it is legal

I think this may be more difficult than might appear at first glance in terms of catching them in numbers anyway.....

We get a lot of them at certain times of year on browns. I'd say we killed close to fifty last year. Some browns and salmon were coming up with three on them at a time. All at the gills. Small ones about4-7 inches but we had a few that were 18 inches... May they rest in pieces...

When they run the tribs in spring is the best bet for numbers.  Be pretty dependent on timing and water levels I'd think.

I agree.  Sounds like a reason for a good ole redneck snag fest.  I'll stop fishing to do it so I suppose it wouldn't be to hard to get me to do it if I could sell them instead of feeding the coons.

I believe the problems are as follows, you are transporting an invasive species of bait to uncontaminated waters. Second we are being asked to sell "our catch" to someone for commercial purposes. Two flags go off in my mind.

I believe the problems are as follows, you are transporting an invasive species of bait to uncontaminated waters. Second we are being asked to sell "our catch" to someone for commercial purposes. Two flags go off in my mind.

Yea I would agree. Aside from that when we have one fall off a fish into the boat my wife is grossed out and stands on the seat. I can imagine her reaction when I tell her I am going to take them home and freeze them.

As Mower said, I`d have to check what kind of licensing would be necessary for someone to get in order to sell them to me. I can see how it would be illegal to ship live lampreys, because of the chance of someone releasing them into other tributaries, but if they were frozen, I don`t see that problem. If the licensing is cheap enough, the best chance to catch them is in the shallow tributaries of the lake, so you could pluck them out of the creek by hand and fill up a 5 gallon bucket and freeze it. Even for the guys who are fishing and get say a dozen a day, might be worth it to freeze them and when you get a full bucket or two, could make $400 on a couple hundred eel? Could also be a great way for some young kids looking for some extra money to go out looking for them.

I will try and let you guys know the legalities when I find out.

Thanks.

Geez... maybe we could figure a way to "farm" raise them.... but then again ...it would have to be on somebody else's property  because it would be an instant divorce in my household :lol:

here in California we use lampreys to

catch sturgeon.

I got  :thinking:  about this again.  Selling Lampreys was the first thought :cash:on my mind but :wait: then I got thinking about it from the other way.  We should be after :call: the DEC to stock more Sturgeon.  Maybe that would be the naturalist way to keep the population of lampreys low. :bow:

Came up with that one without a  :beer: in my hand. :rock:

:clap: