Care to sell some Lamprey's?

Hi Guys, just got off the phone with a officer from DEC (really nice guy) this morning, and he told me that all you would need to sell lampreys to me is a regular fishing license!! Of course they cannot be live, but he said you don`t need a special licence because lampreys arent considered a "baitfish". He`s also checking for me the legalities of using eel traps or nets on the tributaries also.That`s great news. Now it might be worth your while to go after some of these bloodsuckers, get them out and off of your salmon lakes, and put some extra money in your pockets.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

Scott

thats kind of strange because it is illegal to sell salmon to people and that is not a baitfish

kind of surprised he used that wording

I think he used that term because he knew I was using them for bait, and not for human consumption?

I think the point is its leagal to sell them if I lived close to a trib  i would catch as many as I could and turn it into some new equipment for the summer.  As for the guys who use them for bait theres no way I would purposely bring on my boat a bucket full of them slimey mother F$#@%&s

Yea I would agree. Aside from that when we have one fall off a fish into the boat my wife is grossed out and stands on the seat. I can imagine her reaction when I tell her I am going to take them home and freeze them.

I'm with your wife on this one.  I run like a little girl when one hits the floor. Glad my boats a hardtop. Thats why i take a kid fishing. :lol:

• 9 months later...

Hey guys, that was me. I pm`d everyone that replied on the Cayuga Lake lamprey thread.

Seems like there`s so many areas that are infested with these things, but trying to buy

some is near impossible? The Great Lakes Fishery Commision told me that they couldn`t

sell me any, as after they catch thousands of them they just dump them in the landfill

instead of selling them? That`s the government at its finest.

I`m pretty sure you can ship them across state lines, as long as they`re not alive.

Anyway, let me know if anyone`s interested.

Thanks,

Scott

[email protected]

Scott,

I can help you out with lamprey eels.

541-981-4449

Sounds like a great opportunity for some  entrepreneurial types that could help cut down the populations in Cayuga. They do use them for bait in Cali and they r not as despised as in the northeast.....Note also this is a slightly different species (sea lamprey) here in NY than the species in CA (river and pacific lamprey). Dead, though, probably would not make a difference to the sturgeon....... :wondering: .....

• 2 weeks later...