straight 6 inboard

finnlander

i can,t seem to find much info on the chev straight 6 165 hp  motor. anyone know of a site where i can get info. would like to know what was the last year they made this motor and what was the last year searay put it in there  boats. would also like to get more info on 70 and 80s searay 18 and 19 foot boats but not having much luck thanks in advance 

I don't think Chevrolet ever made an engine like that, if it is pre 85, it is going to be an AMC engine, engine that was used in jeeps, gremlins, pacers, cherokees etc. Its one of the best engines out there. Can you take a picture?

That sounds like straight 6 CHRYSLER/JEEP engine, do you have any pics of it?

thanks it is pre 85 around 76 to 78 i think and i.ve always thought it was a chevy engine hooked up to the merc cruiser stern drive. can.t seem to find alot of info on it.

I see a marine engine dealer in the magazine Boating on the Hudson that appears to have a lot of choices. Might be worth contacting them. Maybe they can steer you in the right direction. www.1800runsnew.com phone number 1-800-786-7639.

I don't think Chevrolet ever made an engine like that, if it is pre 85, it is going to be an AMC engine, engine that was used in jeeps, gremlins, pacers, cherokees etc. Its one of the best engines out there. Can you take a picture?

thanks for the reply but i.m pretty sure the  engine was made by chevy its around a 76 to 78 but can.t seem to find much info on it . i.ll try the link you sent me and thanks

found this :

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
The 165 is a GM 250 CID inline 6 block. These haven't been produced since about 1980. The modern equivalent is the GM 4.3L V 6, used by MercVolvo, and OMC, the basic 2 bbl carbed model producing 175-185 hp. Too bad they changed, in my opinion the old inline 250 was the best small marine inboard engine ever made.

found this :

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
The 165 is a GM 250 CID inline 6 block. These haven't been produced since about 1980. The modern equivalent is the GM 4.3L V 6, used by MercVolvo, and OMC, the basic 2 bbl carbed model producing 175-185 hp. Too bad they changed, in my opinion the old inline 250 was the best small marine inboard engine ever made.

thanks  thats what i thought were can i get some info on this engine any thoughts??????

thanks  thats what i thought were can i get some info on this engine any thoughts??????

I used to have one. Mine was a 1976 in a Slick Craft ss200. It was a great engine. Loved it. Did some work on it myself and upgraded the ignition to a Pertronix to get rid of the points etc. I still have a hard copy of the Clymers OMC shop manual 1964 to 1986. I have it on cd as well. If you are interested let me know.