Setup/ Leadcore questions

Hey everybody! I finally got a bigger boat in the fall, an old, 20 ft starcraft deep v, 175 hp inboard outboard. It's not a cuddy or anything but it will do for a first big lake boat. I have went out with friends some, but I still have a lot to learn. The boat needed new carpet, which I pieced some together and got that in and got it winterized before the snow flew. The seats are pretty ratty, some are salvagable but I may just go with a set of back to back in front of the steering wheel and maybe like a single, bass boat style in the passenger side to save some room, haven't decided yet. I bought 3 electric downriggers at a garage sale, one cannon and two lake systems multi trollers.  I have accumulated a bit of gear over the past few years, rod holders, a depth raider, spoons, j plugs, stick baits, a few flies, flashers/ dodgers, 2 black walker dipsy's, a green luhr jensen dipsy, a big net, and a big cooler. I have 4 8'3" Ugly Stiks, 3 of which have Daiwa sealine 175's on them and the other I still have to get a reel for. I also have two 10 ft dipsy rods with okuma magda 30 dx's. I recently got a 100 yd spool of 27lb test suffix leadcore. So now that I got the background out of the way, here are the questions. Based on the equipment I have, would I be able to run 6 rods or would that be too many? Where would you place the riggers? How would you set up? I guess I am thinking 3 riggers, and  2 dipsy's and a leadcore. Possibly could swap out a dipsy for leadcore once in awhile. Now to the leadcore rod- I need to get a reel for it. Would either of the reels I have already work for this if I get another, If not, what would you suggest? How many colors would you spool on it, and how much backing/ leader? Or if you were me would you get another one and put like a different amount of colors on each one, depending on the situation. Would you suggest investing in anything else? I am on a budget and get my stuff used when I can, so if you could keep in mind when suggesting a reel or other equipment. Yeah, I had a lot of questions, but I am just learning and want to try my best. Thank you in advance for the help, I appreciate it. I am not completely ignorant to it, like I said I have been out a lot and have watched some dvds and read a few books.

Edited by howboutthosemets

I would do the swivel seat for the helm also.  That way you can watch the lines too.  With even just two riggers you can get six lines out easy.    Two dipsies on the wire,  four lines on the riggers .  Two at the ball and two stacked above.   Than you can pull one of the stackers to run a flat line in the spring or the leadcore later in the year when the water warms.Throw in some fixed or free sliding cheaters and you can get lots of baits into the mix.    Put a rigger on each corner and  the dipsies up 4' or so ahead of the riggers.  I would never take the dipsie rods out  to run a core.   You need to look at other boats and sit in yours to figure what layout will work the best for you.   

Edited by Big Dave

My advice would be "Take it slow" (many if not most of the guys here have been doing this stuff for years and it becomes "second nature" and most have a lot experience with their particular boat aside from the equipment)). With that said Dave's advice about taking some time to survey your boat setup is good advice.... and actually sit in it and place your rods and holders where they will work and the downriggers and make sure things don't interfere with each other ( e.g. check clearances). Eyeballing other boat setups from pics or in real time certainly won't hurt either ...we all learn from it. The take one thing at a time ....downriggers first as they will be a mainstay and will pretty much be staying "put". Physically place all your equipment in the holders etc. in a "mockup" on your property somewhere before you get on the water...that's the time to iron things out not on the water and look for potential conflicts and problems with placements. Once you have your boat in order take a close look at what you want to do equipment wise. Think about the species you want to target, considerations relating to the season (e.g trolling in the shallows in the Spring, or chasing steelies and salmon out deep... they are each very different considerations....in other words you will probably not be running your wire rigs or 10 colors of leadcore or magnum dipseys in 6 ft. of water for browns...equipment changes occur with the change of seasons so think it through one season at a time. One of the other things is that I don't see a trolling motor mentioned so will your IO troll down enough for you to use it for everything? Are your current rod holders strong enough to support your wire rigs and leadcore or dipseys? The list could go on and on but my point is you should "make sure your horse is in front of the cart"... get the basics accomplished and the rest will follow more smoothly. That should also help with the identification of other things you may need to get make your system work effectively (both boat-wise and equipment wise). I know full well the excitement of getting a new or different boat and right now I have withdrawal symptoms from trolling for trout and salmon and am itching to get back out there....but it also needs to be done safely as well. You need to be sure of your boat and how it handles out there before making any hard fast conclusions about how your fishing equipment will function. There is a wealth of information on this site about the ins and outs of the fishing equipment, and it can save you a lot of time  (YEARS) by taking some time and looking at it closely as many of your questions will be answered by it. Best of luck with things ...I look forward to seeing you out there.

Reccomend simply starting with 2 downriggers one on each corner. Place your rodholders on sides of boat leaving the transom area open to net fish. There is many presentations out there dipsy divers,leadcore,copper etc. so the use of more than 2 downriggers is optional on a boat this size. One idea for you is to sell the 3rd downrigger to open your budget for other stuff you may need. Used downriggers bring good money, take look around the net and see what you can get for one.

Six Rods is a great starting point. As stated above 2 riggers,2 dipsys and we reccomend copper line but leadcore works too. Its not about quantity of lines, its a quality presentation. More than Happy to help if you have any questions, we help guys get started all the time. Agree with the above too, wealth of knowledge right here on this site.

Thanks for the advice so far. Forgot to mention, I do have a motor which I used on my bass boat, it is 5.5 hp but it is older so it probably runs a little faster, not sure if this would be ok to hook up to the bigger boat or not. Have been wondering if it would be good enough for the purposes I would need it for. The rod holders I have should be ok to run the dipsys, yes. I do like the idea of one rigger in each corner, still would like to have the other installed, whether I run it all the time or not is a different story, Just want to have it available in case I need it on a certain occasion. I have picked up some tips on here so far and appreciate all of the help and advice. Maybe a swivel seat would be good behind the wheel too. The thought has crossed my mind, I just am concerned that if I have 2 people besides me, where would the other person sit? There is always the cooler. Or maybe I could get like a bench seat passenger side and the swivel at the helm. I don't know how efficient it would be to store a folding chair or something in the boat to use for those occasions.  I was thinking the 2 dipsys would be better but as far as the leadcore would it be smart to put it all on one reel or maybe spool like 3 colors on one reel and then do so many on another one ? I mean as far as a good all purpose for someone starting out. And brettsplace, appreciate it also, I am already a re occuring customer and think you guys do a great business. I will probably be using the boat for other lakes and fishing species too, it kind of will be a catch all, muskie, oneida for 'eyes, the adirondacks, maybe even an occasional bass trip. anyway I just love fishing and try to get out quite a bit, weather and schedule permitting. I have a tendency to get seasick if it gets choppy though so am investigating getting the patch, but that's a different story. LOL

Ohhh... rigging up a new boat is so much fun! Or am I just weird?? I dont know why, but I enjoy the rigging almost as much as the fishing. Haha.

I agree with an above post... sell one of the downriggers... put that money into something else. If it were me, Id put the money into buying a set of planer boards. You can find deals on used ones for about a hundred bucks. Early and late season, those planer boards are gonna be handy! You dont even need to spring for a planer mast right away, just tie off the boards to a bow cleat. Those boards will allow you to get a few lines out to the sides in stealth mode. Youll be able to use them for trout, salmon, pike, walleye... whatever species you are after. They really open up the spread and put fish in the boat.

I would concentrate on downrigger, dipsey diver and planer board lines before leadcore or copper. These will cover your needs to start.

As far as seating... in my old boat, I removed the passenger side swivel seat and put a big cooler there. I bought a cooler seat pad off ebay and made that cooler my passenger seat. Two people could sit there comfortably and it held all the ice, food, drinks, fish, etc. No wasted space.

Have fun and best of luck.

Regarding the 5.5 trolling motor - ANY trolling motor (or second motor) is better than none at all and I'm sure it will be fine for many trolling situations but you will probably be running the big motor  when it is real windy or in "against the wind" situations. The swivel seatat the helm and bench seat on the passenger side sounds like a winner to me ...your neck will appreciate it too :)  I would stay away from the folding chair scenario because they are too unstable on the water ( I know some folks use them though) and the last thing you want is for it to get rough out there and have the chair sliding and tipping over in it. As for the sea sickness it helps to either take Dramamine  an hour or two BEFORE going out rather than waiting to do it when it gets rough. One of the best things I've seen used by friends and relatives is GINGER ROOT best as a tea....can drink it hot or cold (before and at the onset) or take the capsules (found in most places they sell vitamins) a couple hours ahead of time (but the tea form seems more effective). This is what charter guys I know in Cape Cod use out in the Atlantic.

Edited by Sk8man

Regarding the 5.5 trolling motor - ANY trolling motor (or second motor) is better than none at all and I'm sure it will be fine for many trolling situations but you will probably be running the big motor  when it is real windy or in "against the wind" situations. The swivel seatat the helm and bench seat on the passenger side sounds like a winner to me ...your neck will appreciate it too :)  I would stay away from the folding chair scenario because they are too unstable on the water ( I know some folks use them though) and the last thing you want is for it to get rough out there and have the chair sliding and tipping over in it. As for the sea sickness it helps to either take Dramamine  an hour or two BEFORE going out rather than waiting to do it when it gets rough. One of the best things I've seen used by friends and relatives is GINGER ROOT best as a tea....can drink it hot or cold (before and at the onset) or take the capsules (found in most places they sell vitamins) a couple hours ahead of time (but the tea form seems more effective). This is what charter guys I know in Cape Cod use out in the Atlantic.

Unfortunately, dramamine and bonine do not help me, neither do patches. The dramamine type stuff just makes me drowsy and sick which is even worse. I actually missed out on winning the pro am last year am division because I got so freaking seasick the first day and had to have a replacement on the second. I have heard the ginger root thing too, maybe I will try that, I know bananas aren't of much help for me as someone suggested potassium

I'd give the ginger root a try then anything is worth a shot at that point. Make up some tea  and be sure to take it BEFORE you go because once the actual sickness starts its too late (probably for anything). Good luck with it and with the fishing.

I have heard that a paper bag under your shirt against your chest helps.   The bag rubbing takes your mind off the motion of the boat.   Haven't tried it though.   I took a guy out  from work one time on a FLAT lake  no ripples at all and he was a mess.. I don't know what he would have done in waves.

Thank you for all the responses. As I have the leadcore line could someone give me a hand advising how to do it and if I should go with one leadcore reel or 2 and how much on each one? I mean I know it was said one leadcore rod at a time but as far as using what I have. Thanks again!

The best thing that I have found for sea sickness is motion-eaze. It's all natural, you place two drops behind each ear. Works great in my experience. You can find it at Walmart if your lucky or google it. Works even after your on the boat,if you get sea sick.

I too have a on going problem with sea sickness, over the counter meds just do not work for me. I have found over the years that if I keep myself busy in the boat setting lines and changing baits or what ever that really helps. I don't allow myself to get bored or go to sleep-ever!! I will wake up sick every time!!!  I try to keep my eyes on the horizon and not on the moving water, also I have to eat BEFORE I go out. This all works for me, hope it helps. As fore your rigging ideas, keep it simple, the whole idea being out there is to have fun, not agrivate yourself to the point you don't go any more. Small steps, you can change things between trips as you go. You will learn alot every time out, ask alot of questions, pay attention to the other boats around you. I have found that most of the time running fewer lines and running the right will bring you much more success and enjoyment------good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and should  I mention.....back in the early eighties during the ESLO Spring Derby my fishing buddy and I had a ritual of the first guy to lose a fish had to chug a beer no matter what time of day etc. Well....I lost one right as we started the second day at about 6 :30 AM or so. I hadn't eaten breakfast that day either . I chugged the beer but that is the only time I ever felt queazy on the water... and it was the last time I suggested the ritual. Moral of the story: Don't drink beer before 7 AM or on an empty stomach OR think it might be the other guy that always loses :lol:

Start with two riggers/ two diver rods maybe run inline planer. Two riggers plenty to start with nice to keep middle boat open. I agree sit in your boat eye and measure things up. I to lov riggin boats. Done 4 in 30+ yr. span. Swivel seats must both sides. Hav those current on my boat gives me room for large cooler that's two more seats and place for gear till we catch fish if we keep any. Take your time everything people said has been good advice. Good luck! Cdq's dad.

Gingeroot 500mg./ 1000mg. Take nite before then next morn. Ginger snap cookies ginger ale. That way stuff comes up tastes better. HA ! Focus on the horizon far as u can see might help . Cdq's dad.