Peanuts/Spin-N-Glo for Lakers

I'm new to laker fishing as we typically only target browns in the spring. We have decided to do some experimenting with lakers this year and I'm looking into some new rigs. I've seen the typical cowbells with either a spin-n-glo or a peanut behind them. I was wondering if there is any one specific color that has outproduced the others? When we have caught the random lakers in the past they usually would come on a white crush Spin Dr. and a no-see-um fly. But then again that is during the summer/fall when we're targeting kings. Is the color more important on the cowbells, or for the peanut itself? I also read speeds of 1.2-1.7 at the ball were a good place to start as well. Is that what most of you guys run for lakers? Thanks for any help!

Peanuts and Spin n glows are both good and some days one will out produce others.  You can't go wrong with glow peanuts and glow spin n glows.  Cowbell color does not matter all that much.  I tend to run brighter cowbells in water less than 140 and natural colors (silver , copper, gold) in deeper water. 

Hey Doty,

One of the BEST laker baits of all time was shown to me in the mid eighties by Olcott Captain Dell Rowles. Some of you old timers may remember him and his yellow Sea Ray. Dell was one of the ORIGINAL ProStaffers for Luhr Jensen and Yakima. He showed me his "laker secret" in 1988 when we were running a group laker trip---yes....some people would actually charter for them. LOL.

Anyway....his go to laker setup was a size 0 Luhr Jensen or Les Davis Dodger in yellow trailed by a Yellow/Green 1 inch Spin and glow about 26 inches back. He would run that rig about 15 to 25 feet behind the ball and drag it as close to the bottom as possible---occasionally bumping bottom. Keep in mind this was PRE zebra mussels---today you might want to avoid that.

That rig accounted for more lake trout than anything on my boat in the 4 years we ran that "laker group". Most times the guys would end the day when they got tired of reeling lakers!

Here's a pic of the rig. It works VERY well in Lake Erie too.

IMG_24411_zps1a44c52f.jpg

The best setup I use for them is the big Abe&Al Fender silver finish and a 1" or 3/4" Wardens Wobble Glow (peanut) in Luminous Spot color.  Keep it at a speed that the fender just kicks side to side but doesn't rotate all the way over.   Close to the bottom.......killer.

• 4 weeks later...

i use to use the davis rig and switched to a large flasher and a chartreuse peanut, troll as slow as possible and keep it as close to the bottom, deadly. i also would go only back from my release about 5-7'.

Edited by knotreelly

Hey Doty,

One of the BEST laker baits of all time was shown to me in the mid eighties by Olcott Captain Dell Rowles. Some of you old timers may remember him and his yellow Sea Ray. Dell was one of the ORIGINAL ProStaffers for Luhr Jensen and Yakima. He showed me his "laker secret" in 1988 when we were running a group laker trip---yes....some people would actually charter for them. LOL.

Anyway....his go to laker setup was a size 0 Luhr Jensen or Les Davis Dodger in yellow trailed by a Yellow/Green 1 inch Spin and glow about 26 inches back. He would run that rig about 15 to 25 feet behind the ball and drag it as close to the bottom as possible---occasionally bumping bottom. Keep in mind this was PRE zebra mussels---today you might want to avoid that.

That rig accounted for more lake trout than anything on my boat in the 4 years we ran that "laker group". Most times the guys would end the day when they got tired of reeling lakers!

Here's a pic of the rig. It works VERY well in Lake Erie too.

IMG_24411_zps1a44c52f.jpg

Paul, My dad and I used to fish some tournaments with Dell, both on our boat and his, back in the day. Back when he had his 23' Carver (before the yellow Sea Ray) my Dad put that very rig you describe together one afternoon on Dell's boat. Dell had another hot rig, a LJ Fishback behind the same Dodger that he turned us onto. If I recall correctly, he shared some of the first glow Fishbacks with us before long before they were released for sale. Dell and my Dad used to tie custom squids for eachother and for LOTSA events back in the late 70's/early 80s.

At the last LOTSA show, I sold my dad's Alcor wire line lake trout rod that he used for tournaments. Dell had one just like it. A couple times, they fished them side by side along the Niagara Bar drop off and caught some slob lakers on them.

Small world huh?

• 2 weeks later...

Paul or John,

Have either of you ever tried that yellow dodger/ and yellow/green spin-N- glow combo on the finger lakes?  Maybe find a different color combo that worked also?

The glows work well in the early hours. As the sun rose, my dad would switch to the pearl and pearl with pink stripe both with and without fishscale tape. by 9-10 am he'd switch again to the yellow and a hand hammered silver plate dodger. He'd run various color baits depending on water clarity or turbidity and the amount of sunlight he felt was penetrating the water. We generally fished the yellow and silver back then though as the prime morning hours were used to target salmon mostly. It wasn't usually until later in the day when the salmon bite slowed that he would start to target lakers and we would use the later in the day colors.

I can't offer an opinion as to whether these patterns would work well on inland lakes trolling as we only ever fished live bait at night (anchored with lights pointing down into the water) for inland lake lakers.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone show me a link on how to rig these spin n glows? I want to give them a try this year. Im assuming the spin n glow just floats on the line, and do you run a spoon at the business end or just a trailing hook?

Thanks

Run a spin n glow with a couple beads and a treble behind it.  Lakers love them.