"State of the lake"--Lockport NY--TONIGHT

Half the King Salmon out there are now sourced from the streams of Lake Ontario, they are slower growing but max out to hatchery bred salmon size at maturity. The size of Kings being caught are acceptable and the numbers being caught are high again. 

Lake trout numbers are coming back.

Brown Trout numbers wil be down slightly due to a hatchery program failure but the hatchery is back to full production now.

Steelhead numbers are good.

Coho salmon are being stocked at a smaller number but a study is ongoing to go with fingerlings for better survival with all the Kings.

Atlantic salmon are being promoted a lot in Ontario so you should see more of them now.

Angler numbers from out of state are highest on the Salmon River.

Forage fish are being supplemented with ciscoes{herring} and alewive numbers and size are back up without concern for the forage crash that happened in Lakes Huron and Michigan.

Bass and walleye fishing trips are down on Lake Ontario.

It was actually sad that only two charter captains from the Olcott/Wilson/Niagara area showed up to this meeting. I betcha I only knew about 4-5 people there, which was surprising to me. Not a good showing from the West.

Rick, it is called work.  I would have attended if it was later.  Too hard to get home from work, grab a bite and shoot down to Lockport by the time it started.

You are right, Rick. Never take this for granted. I didn't spend hours , days, weeks, months as a child fishing off my grandparents dock near Wautoma shoals catching NOTHING--I spent YEARS! Then, when you wanted to take a dip, you had to wade through 100 yards of dead alewives to get to open water. Long live the KING!!!!!!! The alewife suppressor!

Controling alewives allows hatching of Yellow perch, Walleyes, Lake trout, Sturgeon, Small mouth bass(now gobies are crushing these) and allows the Atlantics and Lake trout to start to eat a diverse diet which improves their reproductive abilities.

Thanks to the late, great Bill Pearce and his courage and thanks to todays DEC dedicated fisheries staff Lake O ROCKS! 

Additional thanks to all the great volunteers here in NY and our Canadian brothers, as the pen projects have made a big difference helping the fingerling Kings survive all the warm water species predators that are now present--because of the mighty Chinook.