18 or 20 feet

tlr426

Looking around priceing a new boat. Is there a big difference between an 18 and a 20? The price difference is between 6k and 10k, deppending on make and modle... My question is, is it worth the extra cash for the extra 2'?

Depends on the model and aluminum/fiberglass.  It will make a bigger difference in Aluminum because of the extra weight will help the boat ride better seeing how the rider position will differ (Closer to the transom the better the ride). Fiberglass length won't make much of a difference ride wise.

I have fished 14' boats to 23', fiberglass and aluminum and I can say it is nice to have the extra room but the longer boat is harder to handle by yourself unless you have autopilot. Aluminum will almost always ride a little harder because it lacks the weight no matter what hull design/manufacturer.

When I bought my boat 2 years ago I had a choice between a smaller aluminum (18' i think) boat and chose my 23' fiberglass based on size and the ability to fish 5 guys not including me comfortably. Not to mention my father-in-law has the same make boat and the ride is comparable to a Grady.

Do you have to buy new? There are a lot of boats in that range used for a good price.

Edited by Chas0218

If you are gonna use her for trolling with 2 or 3 people a bigger boat is the way to go.  If you are gonna anchor and fish for bass or panfish with you and a buddy  a smaller aluminum boat is much easier to deal with.

Edited by apb

In addition to length, consider the height of the sides in each model.  I have an 18.5 aluminum that I used to use on Ontario and it became extremely difficult to fish in 3-4' waves because the sides weren't high enough to lean against and we would literally crawl on all fours to rig or get around.  The additional 2' doesn't seem like much, but it can make a significant difference, especially if the side rails are higher.  You'll also get tossed around somewhat less which can be a big plus when fishing rough waters all day.

In general the bigger the better for Lake O fishing. Usually 20 ft. boats are a bit wider as well which adds a bit of stability whether aluminum or glass boat. Another important factor is the hull design - you probably what something with a deep V hull to cut through the waves better whether either material as well.

Difference in length will be minimal compared to differences in hull design and total height above water.  I have an 18 ft aluminum & wouldn't trade it.  Great to trailer & handle by myself.  Also consider depth of boat.  Best to have floorboards to top of bulkhead as high as possible.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

If you buy smaller & your like me you will get foot disease, started with a 16' then 18' then 20' now up 22'.  I would suggest fiberglass over alum. for a better ride & bigger has room you will need/like. Also like Jimski hinted to rough water is no fun to fish in. JMHO.

It's not just length.

The 20 footer is big enough for a closed bow,while with the 18 footer you may need an open bow just to be able to store things.

On the lake a closed bow is safer.

It should be noted that you can also enclose an open bow with a canvas "dodger" or forward shelter. That was the absolute  single best investment I have made in my entire lifetime thus far. It turned my 13 ft Whaler into a Lake Ontario boat as well as a "reading area" and play area for GI Joe's when my kids were young :)

not true

I agree with Tim.  Many days I've been heading out in my 22', smaller boats have been coming in.  When things get snotty on the lake, I definitely think there is an advantage to the extra 2'. Just to compare. I've been a Starcraft owner my entire fishing life. Started out with an 18' and then moved up to my current 22'. Both aluminum, both deep-V hulls.  I remember days out on the 18' that I shouldn't have been out in, however I knew the boat's limitations and knew when to call it quits and go into port.  Now, with my 22', I've been in some seas that I'd never take the 18' out in.  The extra length and weight definitely make a difference, in my opinion.  Max on my 18' was 3 footers.  I've been in 4-5 footers with my 22' Islander and never felt unsafe or in danger.

I have been out on the water on the lakes in 17 footers one October, I was bulletproof at that age. We were caughtup in the PWT blow in Dunkirk one year where the waves peaked at ten footers. Our 21 foot boat was vertical ready to blow backward.and on some boats the outboard engines went under water. When it gets rough, remember it could always get rougher so get in for no fish are worth losing your pension  and Social Security checks for.

The earlier point made about the depth of freeboard (sides of the boat) is very important as well as the design of the back splash itself. I used to get my feet wet riding on a friends big Grady because it had panels (or little doors) on the back of the  transom deck that allowed water to come through big time when it was rough despite making it easy to wash down and keep clean etc. In my current boat the freeboard is closer to my waist and I've never had a drop of water in the boat from waves or from the back splash....much more comfortable ride.

Edited by Sk8man

If the lake is too rough for an 18 footer, it is too rough for a 24 footer also.

No not really. We had an 18 foot as our first boat a 23 as our second and now a 20 foot. We go out in rougher weather than we used to and have not yet took a wave over the windshield in the 20 but used to all the time in the 18. Nothing like a cold shower on a cold day to wake you up. The 20 foot has way more ability to handle the big water. We got caught too many times in bad weather in the 18. The wind will always pick up before you think etc so I would say the 2 foot is well worth if for you.

always depends on boat.. a shorter (18') but not as wide with a deep v could handle waves more... but if its really wide like alot of new fishing boats these days it can get pretty rough as you not so much slicing through rather than riding over them and pounding on them.. alot of newer fiberglass boats these days are not built with thick fiberglass to. i have seen new boats and the fiberglass was thin and flimsy but the one i got from the 70's the fiberglass is extremely thick and solid as a rock. mine is a 19 foot deep v hull and really thick fiberglass that gives it extra weight and its not very wide (7 feet) and handles rough water great. its a closed bow but the bow is short and i have 2 little seats mounted at the front and the whole rear of the bot is wide open. it isnt a big boat but because of how i have it set up it is very spacious and handles great.

Operational costs are not being addressed. Towing an 18 foot boat needs a smaller vehicle which allows for more travelling and fuel costs for the vehicle and boat are lessened considerably. Dream boats are nice, but affordability to operate them have become a big problem today.

thats the only reason i got something smaller... i had oppurtunities to get up to 24 footers... towing, gas, insurance just everything gets very expensive and towing large loads puts alot of stress on the truck

The earlier point made about the depth of freeboard (sides of the boat) is very important as well as the design of the back splash itself. I used to get my feet wet riding on a friends big Grady because it had panels (or little doors) on the back of the  transom deck that allowed water to come through big time when it was rough despite making it easy to wash down and keep clean etc. In my current boat the freeboard is closer to my waist and I've never had a drop of water in the boat from waves or from the back splash....much more comfortable ride.

Yeah, like this kind of freeboard on my Thompson :)

100_4146.jpg

For lake Ontario, boat depth and weight is very important, my family had boats all my life and then when my wife and I got married we bought our own boat. We are now on are third which is a 22' sea ray that weighs 5,900 lbs and has very good depth. One reason for this choice of boat, being able to fish Ontario and we vacation at BB and like Sandy pond area, but it can get rough in a hurry. This boat with its depth and weight cuts through waves and you don't feel like your getting pounded. My wife got seasick :envy: on lake O in the smaller boats we've owned,  but so fare with this one she's hasn't. I would suggest buying used, if you take a good look around and take your time, there are many good deals to be had with the ecomony the way it is, boats depreciate very fast the first 5 years. If you have mechanical ability check it out good, if not, it might be worth taking one with you. One reason for not going much bigger is being able to trailer it, my max tow capacity is 8,900, which when it loaded with gas,fishing stuff or fun stuff it's pushing max weight. Good luck, nothing like fishing and boating on the big O with her sunsets.