Okuma Coldwater reels feedback

I run primarily Okuma convectors on my boat in various models though out the year for trout and salmon. I have little to no complaints about them other than the line counters on a couple occasionally give me problems. I see Okuma is out with a newer model that claims to have a better line counter and a metal housing. Are the guts of the reel the same as my convectors that I am running now? Has anybody had a chance to test these reels yet and if so what are your thoughts on them? As always your feedback is appreciated.

https://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/linecounters/cold-water

Okuma Cold Water reels were designed and built to replace the old Clarion line counters. My understanding is they were built on the Clarion platform but with obvious exterior changes along with some upgrades. The Cold Water series was designed to appeal to the specifically "trolling" crowd (Pacific Northwest and Great Lakes). 

I currently run all Convectors and have been very happy with them. The jump to the great Catalina series is not something im looking to do yet but the price for the Cold Water series is very inviting. I have not run the Cold Water series at all but I did just resently purchase a bunch of them to upgrade some of my convectors. Ill be giving them a good test this season on my diver setups and also the riggers. My plan is to fish both side by side. If all goes well then i will be replacing all of my convectors with cold waters this year. Ill certainly report my findings.

I look forward to hearing your reports on the CW series. I may pick up the CW 153 for Browns and test it out.  I have a convector 20 that I'm not totally happy with so I have an excuse to replace it.  If I like it I may buy more. Right now I'm just leery of buying a model that is new to the market and hasn't been tested by fellow anglers yet. One reel won't break my bank. 

The Coldwaters had some issues with the linecounters when they were initially introduced.  From what I have read they have gotten all the bugs out and are a very nice reel for the money.  I use convectors.  Some I have had for several years.  They have been great for me for salmon and muskie fishing.  I just sent a bunch of them to Tuna Toms to be broken down and refreshed.  I run the 30 models for both wire line dipsy fishing and downrigger applications.  I am thinking about purchasing a couple coldwaters to try out.  You can't go wrong with convectors and catalinas.  I am guessing the coldwaters are the same with regards to quality.

• 4 weeks later...

We also have acquired a couple Cold Water reels to try this season. We'll put them through the vigor of our tournament schedule and see how they stack up against the Convectors. Our intitial thought after receiving them is that they appear to be build well, and we look forward to trying them out when we hit the water in a couple weeks. We'll also report on our experience with them.

Edited by Finders Keepers

I have been thinking about upgrading also and the cold waters seem to just be the same with just a few upgrades and better cosmetics. I was told if i was going to up grade go to the tekotas or just stay with the convectors.

An independent review from a well known reel repair expert comparing the Shimano Tekotas to the Okuma Catalina had the reviewer giving the nod to the Catalinas. I tried to find the link to the technical review but I can't seem to find it now.

• 2 weeks later...
I recently started using pair of these reels. One 453 and one 303. Still a bit early to comment on durability and longevity, but so far I am very happy with them. I have them on the boat with a pair of Tekota's also in the same sizes. Not quite and smooth as the Tekota out of the box but for half the price I am trying them.

For the cost if they hold up I can get another spare or two or put different line on them and not break the bank. I could now use some of the same rods for walleye as I do for Stripers and Lakers but with different line.

Time will tell how they do in the long run but I think they will be great.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a pair and spooled them up with 1000 feet of wire. Hope they work well. I love how they look. I wll report back soon as I get a chance to try them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have been using all Convectors....but picked up 4 of the Coldwaters.   Very nice.   I think they are smoother and quieter than

the Convectors.   I do have one, though that is making a different click sound than the other 3.   Almost sounds like the clicker

isn't doing what it is supposed too.   Okuma has great service, and they have made arrangement to check it out....

John