browns in may

Pretty much universal around the south shore when it comes to browns. They are usually in close 10ft of water to 20 feet depending. Look for brown/discolored water and in the tribs around. If its a typical year you dont even need a boat lol. A nice short pier will certainly do the trick.

stickbaits, little cleos and my favorite "stingers" work best for me but depending where you are there may be other options.

If you dont have planer boards just set the lines 200ft plus back flatline. Most people are not comfortable with this as they are too comfortable with the planers imo.

The thing about browns is they are usually either "on" or "off" depending on the lake. Last year anything worked planers or flat line. Initial reports from people I know indicate beautiful fish...

have fun

fished last year out of Sodus first week of May no one was fishing for browns due to the the warm weather in March. Kings had moved in from the west. This year should be diffrent think browns may run later into May.

depending on water temps and if it gets warm I would start out at the high rocks/Wehle's Camp and run an inside board to snug up closer to the shallow water (watch out its really rocky bottom) and also run riggers over 50 feet of water.  run that all the way up to the lighthouse in gravelys bay and you should produce by then, if you start popping there no need to run around the bend to the sand.  if that first pass doesn't produce continue around the light house and work those bays.  If you have a smaller boat you can always head out of Stony Creek and have the option to hit the sand first but normally they make it to at least gravely's bay by may.  this time of year I run spoons with copper backs or smithwick stick baits on boards as go to lures. 

Edited by trenchfisherman