Port Bay Inlet

I think that they contract to have it open for boating by April 1. 

I drove down to the channel two days ago, and the north boat launch was open (no dock yet).  The north end of the bay is fishable to Thompkins Point.  But the channel is still filled in, and the lake is not accessible.

Jim

The channel is maintained by the Port Bay Improvement Association and they ususally don't dredge it until early April.  Also the light at the end wasn't working not too long ago and it was confusing coming in at night (I miss the big orange crane that used to be there).  They do have a website that has some general information.  If you have not fished for spring browns out of Port Bay then head East when you get out into the lake.  I have not seen major rocks to run into in that direction.  I had a Great Uncle who lived on Leone Road for decades and would tell stories about people smashing into a submerged rock (it can also be above water in the winter) just past the last cottages heading west.  Also watch out for rock build up along the end of the pier.  Finally the North launch is in deep water where the South launch is shallow.  I see many people hang their axles up on the South launch from my cottage all summer long.

All along the south shore in the shallows there are old remnants of docks, huge boulders and structural materials that need to be avoided during shallow water trolling so for the folks new to Lake O. a word of caution - if you value your prop etc. be vigilant in the shallow water....

Yea my Great Uncle tried to have a boat house on the lake at Port Bay, but hurricane Agnes decided otherwise.  I've seen some of the posts from old docks fishing shallow East of the channel, but they are not that far out.  I believe their was a bar down their at one time.  Anyways just let the planer boards go close to shore.  If you don't have the big planer boards, than use the inline planers.  The inlines work pretty good.  Also a nice South wind makes working the shoreline there pretty easy becasue the bluffs really protect you.

• 2 weeks later...