fingerlakes leadcore setup

4.png

i am in the process of buying a copuple of leadcore setups pre rigged with 10 colors prob okuma 45 reel is this setup gonna get me down to 100'+ ? what would i need to do or even can i get down to 100' with leacore going 2.0 ish i see alot of people catching lakers with leadcore and i imagine they must be down at least 100' yet i cant find a single chart that goes any deeper than like 50' thnx   

Leadcore will generally dive 5 ft per color deployed give you 50ft down with 10 colors. . You can add weight to the core with Michigan stingers dive bomb or something similar like torpedo divers. Personally if your looking to get below 50 ft in the water column your best bet would be copper set ups. Both have their place. 300 ft of copper will get you 60 down and a 500ft copper should be tickling 100 ft down.

Probably go with the coppers setups if u want to get that deep or invest in a couple downriggers or wire dipsys.... Leadcores you are gonna get 5 to 7 feet down per color depending on speed... You catch lakers shallower in the early parts of the year do to water temperature but once it warms up you will have to fish deeper... Also look for bait and fish your riggs thru it above it and below it ...... Target the fish not the depths!! Hope that helped and good luck to you

Mike

Hi Fathobbit0074,

If you want to target lakers on the Finger Lakes with the leadcore setup add 16-22oz of lead weight to the end of the leadcore line and bounce bottom at 1.0-1.4mph. You can get down 150' + with that rig. Good luck!

If you are going to use lead core for deep fishing for lakers you are going to end up with popeye arms :) if you're into "working out" it'll be great....

On the other hand, leadcore certainly has its place in the "arsenal" but deep water fishing for lakers isn't a real strength of it.  I'd set up something SPECIFICALLY geared toward catching them at depth to make it easier on yourself. Use wire or downriggers where you can easily get down there and where you have much more control over the actual depth and I'm pretty sure you will greatly increase your success rate as well as keep your arms from wearing out :lol:  After reeling in a few "snakes" on the lead core (especially with a sinker on it) and having to put it out each time you'll get a feel for what I'm saying....A wire rig (of various types) in my view is the way to go for lakers when they are deep. Save the lead core setup for the shallower water stuff when the lakers aren't as deep or "toplining" with it rather than the deeper water trolling or bottom fishing which is mostly where the lakers are during much of the year.

Edited by Sk8man

We have 4 downriggers on the boat and my son swears by them...How ever..I'm old school and have a couple of lead core rods on the boat....I also buy my line at Cabelas in 200 yard spools..In Cayuga  I use 18 lb. leadcore and tie on ( albright knot ) about 10 yards of flourocarbon 15 lb...  Get youself a rod with rollers on the tip and first eye off the reel...It will cut down on the wear of the lead core...This setup is deadly ...especially with " flutter " lures like Suttons....Early in the morning when those big lakers come shallow to feed...Cut your speed to 1.5 or less and let your lure bang the bottom...You can feel it touching...but when a big laker hits...You will know it...Of course like other guys are saying...this type of fishing will definitely keep your arms in shape and get your heart pumping...At 1.5 ..1.8 you will get about 1 to 7--7.5 on depth..490 feet out gets you 70..75 feet down... If you don't have a counter on your reel..You will have to keep track of " colors "  Each color is ten yards or 30 feet..Lead Core line is cloth on the outside and lead in the center...Same amount of lead in 18 or 45 lb' test...The heavier test.. the less depth per foot because the outside cloth is thicker and more bouyant than lower test smaller diameter test ... 

Edited by OldTex