Kicker question (again...)

DannyL

I hate to ask, but I've searched and didn't come up with anything concrete.

have a 1994 Starcraft Islander 191 with a a 3.0L and I want to add a kicker as a back up and secondly a trolling option (new to me). I have been looking at adds for a second hand four stroke due to budget restrictions. I see lots of 9.9 and 15hp's 4 strokers but most are short shafts.

Bearing in mind I'm new to all this, can I assume I can use a adjustable jack plate and use a short shaft motor?

The shorts are less rare than longs and would allow me to use it on my 14' jonboat as well. I would add a trollcontrol in next years budget as I'm selling off toys to finance my new hobby....

Ramble done, give me insight!

My Islander 191 has a 9.9 longshaft on a Garelick adjustable kicker bracket. The steering is done with an easysteer bar and the 6 gallon fuel tank is tied on top of the transom and does not take up space at all.

The short shaft would make it hard to use if you have a pull start and the shift and accellerator cables would be in a bad spot.

Even with the longshaft I had to drill a hole through the transom to accomodate the cables.

If you can find a 25 inch extra long it would be great and electric start and stop is a must.

As for usin it on your 14 footer, it should be easy to make a transom plate that allows you to raise the transom from 15 to 20 or 25.

Thumbs up for Tohatsu, got my 25" extra long 6hp with alternator for 1600$+ tax. I'm in Toronto.

It also is a high thrust/pusher prop. 5 year warranty too

Why not buy used?  If the gear oil is good and good compression there shouldn't be any reason why it wouldn't work. I wouldn't buy a non running kicker.  Most smaller outboards are run for trolling or on smaller jon boats where they aren't ran for long distances. I have an old evinrude sport twin 10hp from the 60s that still runs like a top and has been abused for many years by my father in law.

Just my $.02

Just bought a 9.8 Nissan from Onlineoutboards.  It shipped in 3 days.  It cost me $2,289 for the 25" extra long shaft with electric start, 4 blade prop.  Merc is the same motor and would have cost nearly $700. You can get the Tohatsu for $100 less. So far I am very happy but I havent fired it up yet.

Just bought a 9.8 Nissan from Onlineoutboards.  It shipped in 3 days.  It cost me $2,289 for the 25" extra long shaft with electric start, 4 blade prop.  Merc is the same motor and would have cost nearly $700. You can get the Tohatsu for $100 less. So far I am very happy but I havent fired it up yet.

I found the same site up here in Canada. but looked up a Tohatsu dealer not far from me and the price was just as good. Basicly it's $2700 tax included but I'm having a hard time justifying investing that much money on a $3500 boat https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zga2sww9i89wp6s/4cDcswoKv-.  I check local adds every day and came up with a 2003 8HP Honda long shaft with electric start that was used a little on a sailboat. It's more in my (mental) budget and it would leave $$$ for a decent mount and a few other fishing goodies.... So would an 8hp gonna cut it? lol

I have a 19' Grady with a new (last year) Merc(tohatsu) 8HP mounted on a garelick adjustable kicker mount, with 3 gal remote tank and steering bar

It works great for aux power and trolling.......IIRC max is around 5-6 mph......trolls down less than 1 mph

I justified buying new motor considering the cost of fuel, not the cost of the boat.......I troll a lot so the payback will be in fuel savings and/or a potential major engine repair from trolling my 150HP for extended excursions......plus I have a slow ride home if the main motor takes a vacation 

I justified buying new motor considering the cost of fuel, not the cost of the boat.......I troll a lot so the payback will be in fuel savings and/or a potential major engine repair from trolling my 150HP for extended excursions......plus I have a slow ride home if the main motor takes a vacation 

My issue is not fuel saving but rather getting more for my $$$. As I stated above the reason for the kicker is safety first and then trolling (which will be new to me), that being said if I can buy a second hand well maintained motor that will do the job and be reliable that will work for me. The whole reason for the "boat/fishin'" thing is to have a family "event". I have two sons 10-12 that seem to enjoy it and my wife loves to fish so it's a test to see if it'll "catch on" lol. I'm trying to keep the investment low so if it doesn't work out I'm not eating my shirt. I am an avid motorcyclist as well as an 4x4 off-roader, neither of which my wife  wishes to participate in, so I thought I'd give this a try. Of course with funds being spread out among the hobbies it has a tendency to make a person more frugal.... :)