Rookie "starter kit" suggestions ???

Hi, I’ve submitted a few posts and it’s certainly obvious I’m a rookie looking towards the 2008 season!! I appreciate all of the information that’s been shared so far on the sight in general and directly with me. There are times I’ve gone back on old threads then go into information overload but it will certainly help me pass time this winter!!

As for lures, flasher and flies (and anything else??), what would be a good “lure starter kitâ€Â

We need a little more info.

Like what species you want to target and time of year you will be fishing.Which port you will be fishing out of will help also. The hot setups seem to change from year to year.

You made a good choice on the 30lb andes . Buy the best swivels you can find, Sampos are good. Sharpen your hooks prickley sharp[so they hang off your fingernail]

Everyone has their own favorite spoons. Its kinda trial and error there.Pick a tackle shop in the area you plan to fish and make friends with the shop owner. He will lead you in the direction of whats working. I personally have boxes of stuff that doesnt work or it only worked one weekend. Usually whats working is hanging on the wall at the tackleshop or its a spoon you only have one of.

Being a newbie you definately have a long learning curve.Be patient and keep your ears open. This board is a good source for info. Dont hesitate to ask questions..

I will assume you are Salmon fishing

All the different style flashers and dodgers will take fish at one time or another. As far as colors you can't go wrong with green, white, chrome and trashcan. Spoons in the same basic color schemes are also a good idea. A few magnum and a few 28 size. Some days are a fly bite and some are spoon bites.

Sorry about being so vague but it's a pretty large topic with a lot of variables involved such as water clarity,temp and weather conditions. Lure presentation can be just as important as color also. The more time you spend on the water the better you will get at making these decisions. Make sure you know how to troll before running wires as wire tangles do get expensive. It's about 40 bucks for a 1000 feet of wire. Might want to start with one wire rig and keep your dipsy set to 2 1/2 or 3 for a while. NO SHARP TURNS.

You can read a lot of good advice on message boards but there is no substitution for time on the water.

Glen

Well my rookie’ ness is showing :? even in the framing of my question!! I assume and hope to hit the big pond in July and fish that until the fall. My boat is docked at Oneida and I chase (Jig) Walleye on Oneida until they start to shut down. I would expect to trailer and fish mainly out of Oswego as it’s the nearest port but I’m certainly not beyond making longer and weekend trips going further. I would like to target kings but in all honesty my wife and I just love to be on the water and fish. I appreciate the thoughts and do realize its a “fluidâ€Â

I started out in the middle of last year and had good luck as a newb on the lake.

I mostly used NK spoons....... NBK's (green and yellow) on silver and gold blanks, watermelons, frogs w/ tape and a few select glow spoons. Call NK and ask them what is a good "starter" set. I called them last year, went there... and then the next day I had a good luck with every spoon I bought the day before.

Towards the end of the season I had good luck with green glow j-plugs running shallow.

This year I look forward to spring with my new planer board rig, wire set-ups and a few copper rigs from AT-TOM-MIK. I'm now stocked with flies and flashers which I didn't use at all last year. My biggest challenge this year will be how to choose what rigs to drop in the water on any given day :shock:

Ask plenty of questions and listen to the Pro's here. There is a lot of good information.

copper copper copper. i ran two 30# copper lines all season and it consistantly put fish in the boat. this coming year i'll try some wire dipseys. if you read the posts, even the old posts you'll get alot of good information and everyone here at this site is great with helping you with your questions.

Thanks guys for the feed back ... I've jsut started to go back through a lot of the old posts - there is a lot of info to take in and weed through :shock: .... I'm not sure I'm ready for the copper yet .. I'm sure if I stick with this game I'll end up with a coupel of copper rigs. For now Ill go with the down riggers and a couple of wirer dipsey's. My buddy is already betting me that by next August I'll have 2 copper rigs ;) ... all in due time!!

Thanks for taking the time to respond!!

aV465p4J.jpg