Finder / Gps

Hey guys, I am in the market for a new fish finder / gps unit.

I mainly fish for salmon / bows and walley in the great lakes.

Looking for something under the 1000$ range. Considering the type of fishing we do im guessing side imaging and down scan are not really needed.

Have have been looking into the lorance hds models. or possibly something from hummingbird. I am open to suggestions.

Going on a 17ft sylvan deep V. any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Check out the Humminbird 858 or 958. You wont be disappointed. The only difference between the two is the screen size. Neither of them come with down imaging or side imaging, which you probably wont use anyway. We had a 958 with an Airmar SS60 transducer, and it was was a great unit. If you shop around the Internet you can probably find the 958 around $1,000. Otherwise, the 858 is under your price point, and would work just fine.

Check out the Humminbird 858 or 958. You wont be disappointed. The only difference between the two is the screen size. Neither of them come with down imaging or side imaging, which you probably wont use anyway. We had a 958 with an Airmar SS60 transducer, and it was was a great unit. If you shop around the Internet you can probably find the 958 around $1,000. Otherwise, the 858 is under your price point, and would work just fine.

would you recomend buying the unit with out a trandcuer and then going with an airmar ?

I was a HUGE Lowrance fan back in my Bass days. At the end I had numerous units fail on me within a year of my purchase. Customer service, when you got a hold of them, was the worst I've ever experienced. I vowed to never buy a Lowrance product ever again because of this. I hear they have improved, and they have a lot of new products out there. However, as long as our 'Birds keep functioning as they have for the past four seasons, and their customer service remains top notch we most likely wont be switching to anything else.

would you recomend buying the unit with out a trandcuer and then going with an airmar ?

Airmar transducers are top notch! If you can buy the unit without a ducer then do it and buy an Airmar. However, I'm sure the 'Bird ducers will work just fine.

I have the Lowrance hds8 gen 2 and love it, I have a Lowrance 520c and have not had a problem with either and there customer service answered all the question I gave them before buying the hds8 called them at least 5 times. Here is a boat on Oneida lake picked up with my Lowrance Untitled.jpg

Edited by kchamp

I have the Lowrance hds8 gen 2 and love it, I have a Lowrance 520c and have not had a problem with either and there customer service answered all the question I gave them before buying the hds8 called them at least 5 times. Here is a boat on Oneida lake picked up with my Lowrance Untitled.jpg

haha thats sick! wow very clear. are you lorance guys using airmar ducers?

The new Lowrance Elite 7 HDI, 16X9 screen, downscan, broadband

Best buy for the money

I really like the look of the elite 7 nice looking unit. although do you think it should be a concern that you are no able to update the units software? Do they change much from year to year? i really like the elites just unsure if not being able to update

Updates can be done, but you must be teck savy, you need to remove the card and then do the on line update useing a card reader then insert the card into the reader and complete the update useing the info from the card reader to your card out of the unit, not excactly shure how its done, but I was told it can be done, someone from here told me how to do it I'll have to go back through my PM's to get the hole scoop, as this was a concern of mine also, since I bought a ELITE 7 also

Updates can be done, but you must be teck savy, you need to remove the card and then do the on line update useing a card reader then insert the card into the reader and complete the update useing the info from the card reader to your card out of the unit, not excactly shure how its done, but I was told it can be done, someone from here told me how to do it I'll have to go back through my PM's to get the hole scoop, as this was a concern of mine also, since I bought a ELITE 7 ?also

I figured it was possible some way. how do you like your elite??

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking into the standard Elite 7 for my 221 Islander. I do not need side or down scanning but want the GPS for sure. I have looked into the unit and for the screen size think it is a heck of a deal. I have always run birds, but they have a few more features on them that I never really even use. Goin with the Elite 7

HDS is hands down better than the Elite.

I have an Elite and wished I had spent the money on the HDS. 

Side by side the HDS will pick up fish laying on the bottom MUCH better than the Elite. It also picks up fish better in general. The Elite is a decent unit but I would get the HDS.

Dang, a couple hundred more that is for sure.. Dont know if  I can swing it. can get the Elite 7 for under $600.. I would just like to know what the difference is between the standard Elite 7 and the HDI version other than the downscan image that you get?? performance? Resolution?

Edited by Adk1

What is the difference between the low range elite 7 and the elite 7hdi other than the down imaging?

OK, so I was a fan of the Elite 5, up until about 2 weeks ago. Got a hold of an amazing guy name Joc at Angling Outfitters, Woodstock.  He went through the maps with me on the Elite series vs. the HDS series.  There is a huge difference.  The Elite series can only handle map cards up to 2GB in size, meaning they can't carry lots of map detail.  The contours on the Canadian side are space 20 feet apart.  The HDS can handle much larger map files, which support contours of 1 ft apart. This means you can see every little detail of the lake bottom and target good structure that should hold fish.  Second, the transducer is more powerful, so you can pick up much more detail in the water.  Basically the difference is around $300 more for the HDS. For me it is a no brainer to get the HDS.  I wish I would have known that before I bought the Elite, but at least I go to trade it in for only $300 against a slightly used HDS 5.  Can't wait to use it now!!!!

yeah, I have to weigh my options here. I will not be a regular on Lake O..I hope to make it out 2-3 times a year. I can use that $300 to buy a couple decent trolling rods.

third year on my hds 7--  flawless  -- first experience with a chart plotter. Will never leave the dock without one again. I fish the fingerlakes, Ontario, and Erie. We fish year round, never put the boat away.  Only thought I've ever had is that I have spent alot of money on this piece of equipment that has alot of great features that I can't use. bottom line is I am happy with my machine and will upgrade some time in the future.  Good Luck