Trailering and Running with Kicker

JeffM

So I am reading the instructions and my new 9.8 kicker says the trim is not made for trailering and to trailer with the motor down if possible.  It says to use a transom saver if you cant drive with it down.  This got me thinking about running the boat as well.  I was picturing the motor up when not is use but now I am wondering how this works.  Anyone have any input? 

Thanks

The main reason is the added stress on the hydraulic cylinder. If you keep it up when trailering you will see premature failure of the trim tilt unit. The bumps on the road are completely different than the waves you hit while running.  

Does the motor have a lock out when it is in full up position?

What exactly do you mean by locked out?  I believe mine has a metal pin that holds the motor in the tilt position.  It is not a power trim unit. 

Is there a little lever that can be flipped down when the motor is at full tilt? It is generally located near the top of the transom mount. My bigger 88 johnson has one and my father in laws yammie too.  I tried looking at a picture of the motor online and couldnt really tell if it had one.

My 8hp johnson (non hydraulic tilt) has a lever that says tilt on it and will engage allowing the motor to stay tilted up while running. Maybe you have something like that?  I don't know much about those motors. but thought it might be an option.

Edited by Chas0218

I locked mine out in the full up position while trailerling the short distance from camp to lake save a little time...... cost over $600.00 in repairs..... I don't save a little time anymore...... ;(

So what would you have done different to trailer?  Just put in the down position?

Thanks ERABBIT.  Do you have any additional support when running?  I am picturing some of the waves we hit on Erie and Ontario and I am wondering how it will hold up if it cant handle trailering. 

If your transom stays in the water then you shouldn't have any real bumps at the back of the boat when running.

That is why they say the best ride is in the back of the boat.

Let me edit that: That is why they say the smoothest ride is in the back of the boat. Normally it is the wettest too.

Edited by Chas0218

My main running motor I trailer all the way up because the motor head and lower unit are really similar in weight and balance each other out so it isn't always pulling on the transom.

Trailering - both engines down on transom savers

Running to and from fising location - big engine down - kicker up on lock out

Trolling - both engines down

Trailering is from Annapolis, MD to Olcott, then maybe Niagara, Wilson, Point Breeze - depends on the fish!

Thanks ERABBIT.  Do you have any additional support when running?  I am picturing some of the waves we hit on Erie and Ontario and I am wondering how it will hold up if it cant handle trailering. 

I found that the best way to handle it while trailering or running the boat is not to rely on the pin or lever that is on the motor that is designed to keep it up. It will not hold.  I got a seasoned piece of wood ( an old ax handle ) and cut it down so it fits snugly in the space between the motor and the mount. Wedge it tight enough so there is as little play

as possible but not so tight that you cant pull it out when you reach the spot that you want to put the kicker down and

use it.